Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to ignore users on this forum?  (Read 922 times)

Bone Helm

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Particular Individual
    • View Profile
Is there a way to ignore users on this forum?
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:19:00 am »

I find Dwarf Fortress fascinating and I'd love to discuss it with my fellow DF players.  I've been browsing this forum for years and even posted here in the past until I lost my login email, but (as is usually the case on the Internet) there are some users who have nothing to say that I am interested in reading.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot, but I can't find a function on this forum that would let me click on a guy's profile and select a checkbox that says "add this user to your Ignore list" or whatever.

Yes, I already know that there's add-ons for Firefox and scripts and whatnot that will let me ignore users on a forum.  That's not what I'm asking.  I'm asking if this forum has an "ignore user" option somewhere within the forum, so that anywhere I log in to this account, the same users' messages will not show up on my screen.  I browse this forum from at least four different machines, only one of which I personally own or am authorized to install custom software on.  Setting up a greasemonkey script won't work for my best friend's computer or my brother's computer or my work computer.

A lot has changed since the last time I posted on this forum.  We can now make a distinction between the weapon you spar with and the weapon you slay goblins with.  We can now walk from one end of the world to the other without ever setting foot in the sunshine.  Can we now ignore Bay12Games users we don't like?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:32:54 pm by Bone Helm »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to ignore users on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:27:50 am »

There used to be, it was lost or removed in the forum move.

Bone Helm

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Particular Individual
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:29:26 am »

Okay, thanks for the quick response.

I guess I'll come back in a couple of years.

*Sighs*

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 12:44:11 am »

Couldn't you just ignore their posts in the sense you see their name and don't read it?  I can't imagine anyone's posts here being so awful and annoying that merely seeing a few words of it would cause you to avoid posting on the forums for years.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:56:25 am »

It's useful, but I don't know why the lack of it would cause you to stop using the forums completely.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 01:08:48 am »

I agree with Cheeetar. (finally remembered the 3 e's)

I haven't met anything really meriting ignoring a user. There have been close calls, but none so far for me.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:38:18 am »

Firefox nor Chrome need administrative rights to run/install, and a Greasemonkey script can be publicly hosted on a place like Google Sites if you lack a viable alternative.

Besides, you can't remove quotations of that user unless you want to mutilate posts, and some discussions will seem whacky if posts are randomly missing.