Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colour filters  (Read 638 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Colour filters
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:21:27 am »

Figured this could do with its own thread.

Okay, so while I don't mind the ASCII graphics that much, I find it annoying when I'm stuck in the middle of microcline or some other very "distracting" stone. The bedding facilities of my current fortress lie smack in the middle of a mix of bright yellow, grey and bright red that make it incredibly tiring to try to get something done with that section (it was especially bad before I hid all the bright yellow boulders lying about).

So how about a colour filter, preferably in the form of a keyboard key (or key combo) or an easily accessible options menu? One filter that showed all the stone as a single colour of your choice, and another that removed all the symbols, so that you didn't have a wall made out of bright cyan "&" icons. Come to think of it, a third option could change the colour of those symbols, if you wanted to keep them in.

Additionally, or alternatively, you could have an option in the Stone menu to designate custom colours and symbols for different kinds of stone, for example if I wanted to be able to tell granite from microcline, but did not want the latter to be a bright cyan.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colour filters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:06:55 pm »

A broader range of colours to be used in the raws would solve a lot already, 0-256 for example, or proper RGB/HSL values.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »

uhh... look at the bottom of the init file
also here

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Color_scheme

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:38:06 pm »

Thanks. I've also done some raw editing, based on advice in this thread.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:51:36 am »

uhh... look at the bottom of the init file
also here
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Color_scheme
And there are a total of 3x16 colours to be used, and you can't even define them as you like because the game presupposes that they are brighter and darker variations of each other and will use them that way. Also, far from everything has editable colour tags, even when it is in the raws.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.