Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: exciting times  (Read 740 times)

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
exciting times
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:11:51 am »

Man I can not _wait_ for the bugs to get ironed out on this release.  So many of the new features has such incredible potential, but just about nothing is working completely yet. 

The military is pretty badly broken right now is several major ways(not to mention a bunch of minor ones as well).  Which is sad(or maybe appetite whetting?), because from the little you can get it to do now, its easy to tell its going to be incredibly awesome when its working right.  Kill order, and Go here work like a charm, as do pretty much any active orders, really.  But training is about as broken as can be, as is equipment management.  So its not quite there yet.

Healthcare is also pretty badly broken in a few ways, but almost more importantly, its going to need some balancing.  Right now, when a dwarf gets injured, he may be doomed to die from healthcare bugs, regardless of the severity of the injury.  On the other hand, when the healthcare system _does_ work properly, dwarfs are up and about and working with almost no downtime.  And since the Hospitals pretty much take care of themselves once you get them set up properly, it seems like it's going to be tough to find a sweet spot where healthcare isn't too strong or too weak.  We'll see more once the bugs get out of the way and the balance becomes observable.

The new burrow system is going to revolutionize fortress efficiency, once its working right.  You'll be able to have fully functional miniforts anywhere on your location, astounding control over where your civs go, and great defense utility.  It almost works as it is, but it tends to cause lots of unnecessary log spam and pathing issues.

The new HFS is very intriguing.  Lots to see, lots to explore.  I was too cowardly to explore much without a well trained military, and since I couldn't have that, I didn't explore much.  I would've settled for a large well-equipped military, but all my successful forts became unstable after about the second year, and it takes me longer than that to get my smiths experienced enough on the magma forges.

I know modders are going to be having a blast with the new raws. all kinds of fun stuff on the way.  I'm so very excited for the bugs to get ironed out. 

In the meantime all the dwarves are working themselves to death by starvation or dehydration, when they're not melting in the acid rain.  Injured babies can't clean themselves because they're too insane because mother had her toes dented by the dangerous secretions of an Ass Fiend (who also happened to be the diplomat for the human civilization), and then the surgeon came over and sat on her head until she died of thirst.  The military might have helped, but they were all hanging out in the barracks waiting for Urist McBiter to lead a biting demonstration.  Little did they know, Urist McBiter had died previous Spring when the pile of dead roaches outside the fort collapsed on him from the vibrations caused as the three elf traders came by carrying 10 polar bears 326 crutches and a bunch of flasks made out of thin air. A mother mountain goat and her newborn horse foals looked on, unmoved.