Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead bodies keep wearing their equipment  (Read 1814 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Dead bodies keep wearing their equipment
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

This would be a not-insignificant architecture change...

...but if you kill a goblin, its clothes should TOTALLY stay on that corpse.  Held items no, worn items yes.

Yeah this would really screw with adventurer mode, and it would mean that when you cut someone's leg off, their boot is still on that detached leg...

...but the big advantage comes with a new refuse option:  "Scavenge items from dead allies / dead enemies".  Two different options.  Each one can be set to "Nothing", "Scavenge metal items only", "Scavenge all non-clothes", "Scavenge everything".  So you can choose to take all valuables from goblins and then chuck 'em in the pile with their clothes on, but bury your dwarves along with all their possessions (including their armor).  Or you can choose to only take strategic metals from goblins, for re-smelting, and also reclaim the armor from your own guys (so others can use them).

Possibly, you could also just disable all scavenging when there is a siege on, and then re-enable it when it's all clear...

Yeah, some of these problems could be better served with other fixes.  Specifically, multiple-item-hauling and civilians-stay-inside-really-I'm-not-joking.  But I honestly think that having to purposely remove items from a dead guy adds to the game.  I mean, it's just weird to take a goblin's clothes before you toss him on the body pile.  And when an adventurer gets to the site of a battle, there shouldn't be plate armor JUST LYING THERE:  The adventurer should have to take it *off* some guy.  Make it into a very minor legend, or even just remember it yourself:  You're wearing the armor you removed from a dead soldier.  That's slightly hardcore.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dead bodies keep wearing their equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

It would also prevent the "the-dead-guy has lost posession of a-piece-of-clothing!" spam when you kill someone in adventure mode. Would also be nice and fun if bits of armor (relevant bits) stayed on the severed parts.
This particular feature would go along nicely with corpse descriptions.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

No more narrow clothing!!!! THIS MUST BE IMPLEMENTED!

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

I must admit that the narrow clothing thing annoys me somewhat. "I don't give a damn if it's too tight under the arms Urist just tear it, loosen the belt, or re-hem it." However I would like the ability for the dead to retain their inventories, like containers (not that those arn't a little screwed up either but hey it alpha.) I would also like to inspect the dead for injuries as well because some of those guys manage to die in fairly impressive ways.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

If you don't want any more narrow clothing, you could just remove the tag from the Goblins and regenerate your world. Might have to change their size, too. I can't remember if they share the size of Humans or Dwarves...

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

I support this,
Its always bugged me how as soon a dwarf dies all their friends strips the corpse naked.
A option to bury a dwarf with its rotten, blood soaked pigtail clothes still on would make the game less disturbing.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kuro_suna:
<STRONG>I support this,
Its always bugged me how as soon a dwarf dies all their friends strips the corpse naked.
A option to bury a dwarf with its rotten, blood soaked pigtail clothes still on would make the game less disturbing.</STRONG>

If you plan ahead and make a tomb with a cabinet, they'll sort of do this (piece by piece, of course).  Also, *some* clothing does stay on the dead body -- it later reappears as clothing blinking on top of the coffin (or in the refuse pile, if it's a goblin).

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

It'd be so much easier to designate a "Pit" to toss dead goblin bodies in with all their goods, and let it rot as a warning to other goblins. I don't really need that "Narrow Giant Cave Spider Silk Sock" to be considered part of my possessions that kobolds are so eager for.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kogan Loloklam:
<STRONG>It'd be so much easier to designate a "Pit" to toss dead goblin bodies in with all their goods, and let it rot as a warning to other goblins. I don't really need that "Narrow Giant Cave Spider Silk Sock" to be considered part of my possessions that kobolds are so eager for.</STRONG>

I believe you can.  It's called a 'trash zone,' IIRC.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

Yeah, but his point is that the goblin's items don't remain on the corpse.
Corpses should really be containers. Could also reduce lag a bit during sieges, since less items need to be generated.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 09:42:00 am »

Yes, I would like for dead bodies to be treated as containers.  It would also initiate a 'looting' system in adventure mode, where you'd actually have to "open" the corpse instead of just picking up the items you see on the ground, and I think that that would be a fine addition.

Grasped items should fall to the ground however, like he said.

I cast my vote in favor.