Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elf-usable material help.  (Read 624 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Elf-usable material help.
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:37:05 am »

I want to make Elves more effective in combat, so I'm thinking of giving them a wood that's as good as bronze (seeing as bronze is bettar than iron in the current version). The problem is, I don't want other people to use it, so as to try to make things fair. Should I only let them have the reaction for the uberwood?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf-usable material help.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:51:45 pm »

Yes, since you explicitly have to define what civilization can use what reactions.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:30 pm »

Thanks!
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:12:50 pm »

Good elfy weapons to make out of ironwood;

Spears, pikes, arrows, bows, maces, mauls, hammers.

None of these really imply a metal blade. Not that magic trees couldn't hold an edge, if that's what you wanted.

Ironwood trees could grow in any good biome, allowing dwarves to make high-value wooden items with it (This is an ironwood door. It is adorned with bands of bronze and iron spikes). However, only elves would know the secrets of hardened ironwood, the post-reaction product.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:50 pm »

Wait, if you give a civ a reaction, does that mean that it'll utilize that reaction, and adventurers will get that?

((I'll make hardened Ironwood exactly like Bronze in all but color and name. I want swords too, y'know.)
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 11:11:53 pm »

Why don't you make ironwood a tree that occurs only in good biomes? Since elves have [USE_GOOD_WOOD], they'll make stuff out of it, but since humans don't, they'll stick to crummy old oak and the like.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:56 am »

Okey, I'll do that. I really just wanted Ironwood so that I don't start with such crappy stuff if I decide to play as an Elf, and I'm making a mod that makes elves less bigoted and more... eh... cool, I suppose?

YOU DOUBLE PENIS