Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: I am so SICK OF GOLD.  (Read 16876 times)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am so SICK OF GOLD.
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 03:43:57 am »

i have been using the vast stocks of gold and marble in my site to turn 'Sanctumsands' into the jewel of the desert. remember the palace in aladdin? yeah.
the only annoying thing is that the only place you can get delicious cassiterite is in granite. tin used to be the staple of all general production and bronze the armor of my soldiers -in homage to the god incarnates of DF. i have to import it all now.  :-[
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 04:23:47 am »

Okay, somehow my 200 dwarfbuck gold and 2000 dwarfbuck gold coins in 500 unit stacks are trading for 2000 dwarfbucks instead of 100,000. Fair enough, since it means five hundred gold coins gets me ten damned sacks of flour. Speaking of which, I tried trading 500 gold coins, 1000 silver coins, a large gem and 500 copper coins to the elves for their valley herbs and thread. They insulted the quality of my merchandise compared to theirs! I WAS BUYING PLANTS! And after haggling it up for them, they call us besotted dullards! WELL! We bargained them down with an axe to the throat and sent them off with the half of their useless crap we didn't want. I just finished my wall and tower over the courtyard, and those elves can freeze to death trying to take my mountain.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:00 am »

In my experience, Gold is cursed. Sure, you start getting rich quickly, but then all of a sudden one of your Dorfs goes all "MWAHAHAHAHAHA" and takes over a furnace, making a gold spear of golden glory with menacing spikes of gold, decorated with gold and with pictures of gold engraved on it in gold. The value causes your fortresses wealth to shoot through the roof.

Then comes the immigration waves and giant sieges. You draft every non-essential dwarf into the military and try and arm them, only to realise you've been so busy digging out gold you forgot about the iron and copper, so you have to send them in leather or worse, armed with only their fists or picks...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:02:17 am by TheDarkJay »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 09:26:49 am »

Hey, that gold weapon would kick ass.

Gold is an uber weapon metal now.  Its really dense, has a lower impact elasticity than iron or steel (!!!), and edge is teh same for all non-adamantine metals (10k).  Its too bad you can't choose to make weapons out of gold...

Stormcrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:16 am »

I'm definitely going to tone it down in the raw files. I registered just to complain about this ore situation ;) I built up epic quantities of everything, and it actually demoralises me because there's so much of everything, it no longer seems special in any way. Before, I'd get all excited and think, ooh what will I make from my limited platinum supply? Now its like, whats the point, I can make anything.
With you 100%. It's like, what's the point? :(
Quote from: Max White
When it crashes the game, its a bug. When it causes mass homocide, its a feature.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »

Call me stupid, but I can't figure out what specific option I am meant to edit to decrease the frequency of mineral veins. Help?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »

Hey, that gold weapon would kick ass.

Gold is an uber weapon metal now.  Its really dense, has a lower impact elasticity than iron or steel (!!!), and edge is teh same for all non-adamantine metals (10k).  Its too bad you can't choose to make weapons out of gold...
I think it's a good thing. If there is one thing DF tries to be realistic about, it's the metals. And real gold weapons would suck. The lack of being able to make weapons from them is just another sign that the Great Toad has forseen this problem.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

GOLD! always believe in your soul! Your indestructible apart from when hit by magma

Create a seperate fortress that is a clone of the original but made from gold. Then put in all the nobles that don't like gold.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »

lower impact elasticity than iron or steel (!!!)

This would not make the weapon better. It makes it bend out of shape faster. Impact Elasticity is how much the weapon springs back into shape after a hit.

weulitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 04:23:44 pm »

Personally I think the current massive amount of ores is meant to make testing and bugfinding easier. Having a surplus of everything means you can try out lots of things you would not even consider in a "normal" fortress - at least not within the first couple of years.
"You'll be pausing to check what that little ~ means every 5 seconds for a while, but before you know it you'll be reading a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress like the guys in the Matrix decipher that green crap that scrolls down their screens."
quoted from Dr.Jonez on the Gamerswithjobs Forum

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 07:52:26 pm »

lower impact elasticity than iron or steel (!!!)

This would not make the weapon better. It makes it bend out of shape faster. Impact Elasticity is how much the weapon springs back into shape after a hit.

No.

Yield Strength tells you how much stress you can put on it before it stops deforming elastically.

Elasticity tells you how far it deforms when put under stress.  (Strain = Elasticity * Stress).

The more an impacting object deforms, the less elastic the collision, and therefore the lower the instantaneous Impulse imparted onto the struck object.  (So average imparted force per time is lower).  Thus low elasticity is better for a weapon.

You also want weapon materials to have a high Yield Strength so they don't lose their shape in standard use.  I'll note all weapon metals have the same impact yield strength at present (also ridiculous since silver obviously deforms plastically a lot easier than steel).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:55:17 pm by Squirrelloid »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:50 pm »

I guess there's only one way to find out. With Dwarven Science!!

I just found my multitude of gold veins, along with tetrahedrite(which I'm glad I found since my mayor mandated brass items). Time to make coins even though it's probably pointless!

And :'( I worked really hard on that pic-
Akura cancels Post: Insane.
Akura has been stricken with melancholoy!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »

In my experience, Gold is cursed. Sure, you start getting rich quickly, but then all of a sudden one of your Dorfs goes all "MWAHAHAHAHAHA" and takes over a furnace, making a gold spear of golden glory with menacing spikes of gold, decorated with gold and with pictures of gold engraved on it in gold. The value causes your fortresses wealth to shoot through the roof.

Then comes the immigration waves and giant sieges. You draft every non-essential dwarf into the military and try and arm them, only to realise you've been so busy digging out gold you forgot about the iron and copper, so you have to send them in leather or worse, armed with only their fists or picks...

That sounds like fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]