Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] "Craftsdwarf" migrant has no crafting activated ...  (Read 946 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

... with the result that the Dwarf won't build a workshop or do any crafting until you go into P and activate one of the crafts.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

mcevers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] "Craftsdwarf" migrant has no crafting activated ...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:05:19 am »

New migrants seem to come with a much broader cross section of skills, however they dont always have the relevant job(s) activated; at least we no longer seem to get useless peasants who cannot contribute to dwarfciety

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:51 am »

Yep, seems to be normal,
incoming dwarves seem to only have the labor corresponding with their highest skill level activated.
(which usually also is the skill that gives themtheir job description)

Which is one of the reasons why it is useful to check each  immigrant of an immigrant wave.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:58:18 am »

I have gotten a peasant, within my first year.

My incoming migrants are set up pretty much as they used to be, with hauling and a modified healthcare enabled.  The military skills are new. 

The problem with Craftsdwarf is that it was a category that used to enable that Dwarf to build a crafting workshop and get working on whatever crafting demands were made.  Without at least one of the specialties enabled by hand, the incoming Craftdwarves won't do diddly now.

I think this bug may be a result of having put the textile, leather, and glass industries under a new category of Crafts, without having adjusted the old incoming category of Craftsdwarf which was only things done at the crafting workshop.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:05:47 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52522.0

The issue is not exclusive to craftsdwarves. I've witnessed milkers arriving without milking, armorsmiths without armoring, farmers without farming, hunters without hunting, etc. The issue seems to affect roughly 1 in 3 new migrants.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »

I got a novice diagnoser, with zero skill in everything else, and didn't even have the "diagnose" job enabled.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 12:56:14 pm »

I belive it has something to do with, whether there is an other dwarf with a higher skill in that profession on the map.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:53:20 pm »

Nope, definitely, I checked all the others from the Noble screen, nobody has any "relevant skills" to be the medical chief except that novice diagnoser.