Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swordbaldness (under construction)  (Read 656 times)

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
Swordbaldness (under construction)
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:50:18 am »

While everyone's having a 0.31 party, I'm still toiling away in 0.28 on my fort Swordbaldness.  It's grown pretty large, and once I finish my current dig project, I'll have plenty of masons (and stone) to continue working on the fortress proper.  It'll never be a Flarechannel, but it's my baby and I wanted to share.

It's still far from complete, and looks pretty dull, but only the visualizer can give you a full impression of its size.

Visualizer Image
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All that's clear in the pic is the arena to the left; the main fort in the middle, with the entry hall in the front and the red and gold royal chambers in the rear; the magma and water tanks on the right; the beginnings of the main bridge; and the dig project all around the perimeter of the fort.  Unfortunately, much of the rest is either hidden behind walls and ceilings, or is buried underground.

That dig took forever, since I had to wall off an aquifer 20 tiles at a time, which is no easy task.  But thankfully, it's almost complete.  It also takes up a huge portion of the map, and the fort takes up much of the dig space.

Take a look at the map on the archive.  There you can find three distinct forts.  The starter fort one z-level underground, almost right in the middle, consisting of a few empty rooms dug out in the soil.  The second, larger fort, that is also underground and that I abandoned after a tantrum spiral; moving the dwarfs from there to the new fort was a real pain, and there are still some workshops down there I haven't moved.  And last is, of course, this big above-ground fort.  I think it's cool seeing the place where my dwarfs huddled together away from the bats and zombies while they hurriedly punched through the aquifer well over half a year ago.

Swordbaldness on the map archive
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swordbaldness (under construction)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:34 am »

looks like a refinery or industrial complex. storage tanks, cooling tower, complex building with lots of pipes and doohickeys.

nice work.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • There really isn't anything to do there
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:01:31 am »

Very nice. Well beyond what I've been able to do. What are your long term plans?

Also, I don't think you're missing too much with 0.31; after fiddling around a bit, I'm going to wait a few months for the major kinks to get ironed out.
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:44:35 pm »

Long term is to keep building the fortress up and out, and keep digging down.  I have specific plans for everything except that space in the upper left.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.