Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Hospital!  (Read 1147 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My First Hospital!
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:40:26 am »

I must say... Causing Havoc and surviving it is now 200% MORE fun than it used to be!

Sure, you get bored and open a can of HFS just to laugh... Some dwarves die, some live, wait for a siege. But now...

Introduciinngg! SURVIVORS!.

I just accidently opened up a cavern whilst digging out a tomb for my recently-dead miner in an accident. A giant olm soon came charging up my stairwell! I organised a squad in my (10x15 or so) dining room, which is the only large room between the stairwell and the outside world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, Giant Olm comes charging, my dwarves - weaponless and in clothes - bomb themselves ontop of it. A 30-second battle ensues, leaving many wounded, one dead and the threat destroyed. Usually at this point, the dwarves become eternally nearly-dead in a bed.

But No. The Doctor comes to save the day! He drags the entire group of 8 (One dead, he survived unscathed) to the beds to recover and diagnoses them.

One unlucky dwarf lost an arm (Must of been an epic moment in the battle, a giant creature ripping off a dwarves arm), and two had "cut open" arms and legs.
The doctor goes to fetch buckets of water to clean the survivors, whilst my other remaining dwarf hastily makes a carpenter's workshop and builds anything the doctor may need - splints and crutches, and such.

I havn't had experience with Hospitals as of today, but I must say, it is quite exhilerating and interesting, in comparison to the older versions where there was no such thing as a Doctor.

Go Toady!

Now all I need to do is get that traction bench done and a hospital carved out, rather than using people's bedrooms.

I'll just dismantle the bedrooms and move them to the dining room, heh...

Edit;

...Ah. That's what the thread and cloth was for... Oh uh. I removed them from the... yeah... Including pig tail seeds. This should be interesting. :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:44:39 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Hospital!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:52:15 am »

I just built a loom, and now my dwarf just ran off to collect webs! I wonder if I can then make silk thread and such? That would be extremely helpful right now. :D
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:52:29 am »

Watch out for the infections.
And yes, you can make silk thread and cloth from the webs.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:53:31 am »

Aye, my Doctor just came running and snatched the silk thread for Suturing.

Damn I love Dwarf Fortress! :D

Edit;
Well, looks like everything is slowly getting back to normal, that was fun. One dwarf has lost her entire right arm - that Doctor is godly! Well, Adequate, apparently.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:10:09 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Onamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:15:40 am »

Woah, that sounds awesome. From now on my Stonecrafter/Leader is going to be a Stonecrafter/Doctor when I embark, whoever gets randomly chosen as leader is fine by me.
...a massive, golden, middle finger... to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 11:47:30 am »

Yes, well... Listen to the rest of the story.

A few months went by as things began to return to normal. The construction of a real hospital began - a small complex with a room full of beds and tables, a storage room for the required bits and bobs, an operating room and even an office (And en-suite bedroom/dining room) for the doctor so he could see to his patients quickly as they came in.

But then... A dog died. I went to check it out, and found a Giant Toad coming up the stairwell. I called the healed veterans - exception of one or two still in the dining-room-turned-hospital - some of which that stilled donned splints and crutches. They assembled in the temporary hospital next to the stairwell ready to fight off the aggressor.
Up he came, and completely slaughtered everybody, even those bed-bound who attempted to fight back as the monstrocity leered over their broken bodies. To their credit, they did bruise its throat.
I sent in a second squad of everybody else - mostly migrants - exception of my doctor and miner, the doctor to solve the aftermath and the miner who would be useless with his splnted leg and arm.

Again, slaughtered. I even sent in my miner and doctor as a last defence, the miner slapped aside and the doctor knocked pale, his leg torn open. The Toad continued up the stairwell, smashing the doors of old bedrooms... Till he got topside, where the story ends with the below image.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.