Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Washtubs  (Read 1150 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Washtubs
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:56 pm »

See this thread. Now that dwarves will clean themselves off, they tend to do it at the most convenient water source.

Which, unfortunately, tends to be the local well. And they're pretty messy about it. If we're going to have dwarves cleaning, we may as well give them something to clean with.

Hence, the washtub. Placing a washtub should ask you to define a washroom, a location dwarves will automatically try to go to when they feel the need to clean. We should be able to assign them to individual dwarves, as well as set them up as comunal bathing areas. Communal bathing should probably give a negative thought to modest dwarves, while more exhibisionist dwarves should get a neutral or happy thought. (Pervert dwarves should get an "admired a fine piece of dwarven engineering" if there's another dwarf bathing, perhaps?  ;D )

Anyway, that's all I got. I'm thinking tub, bucket and soap should be required materials to build one, and they need access to a water source.

Discuss.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Washtubs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »

Why just have tubs? A roman bath would probably be easier to program, and cooler than just a simple washtub.

And, if you routed magma underneath, it would be heated water.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »

I would also prefer a 'bathing area' activity zone where dwarves go to get clean over washtubs. Currently a washtub is easy enough; channel, pit pond, fill with water, tahdah. The only thing to add is the activity zone which directs dwarves to clean there. Enarge the basin, add some statues, and engrave the walls and you have a bath-house that actually will create happy thoughts simply by the pleasant surroundings.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:35:12 pm »

Why just have tubs? A roman bath would probably be easier to program, and cooler than just a simple washtub.

And, if you routed magma underneath, it would be heated water.

I'm beginning to like the bath-zone idea, the more I think about it. The Roman Bathhouse sounds like it would be fun to make. And since all maps have guaranteed water now, it shouldn't really be an issue.

Anything that keeps the blood out of my well is welcome, really.