Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.31.01]Space not always working as "back"  (Read 4203 times)

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01]Space not always working as "back"
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 08:49:15 am »

I welcome this change.  I find escape a much more natural choice.  I never did really like the way space was overloaded.  Alternatives like using shift+space for exit sound alright too, but this is definitely a more newbie friendly approach.

I hate to think how the longtime users are going to complain when Toady gets around to seriously improving the interface.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • There really isn't anything to do there
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 10:23:27 am »

I can see the justification for making the pause button and the leave-menu button different keys, but Esc is a very poor choice given that there are so many menus in this game and that they go so many levels deep.

Agreed. I tried playing with it, but the constant 'reaching' got annoying. Also, sometimes I'd accidentally back out into the menu :-\. Since it's so commonly used, it should be replaced with a 'common' key; return and shift come to mind as the best choices.
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 12:55:46 pm »

Don't forget that you can pause/unpause the game within the Squad interface. Having space as "back" would render that function useless.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »

Ralated:

Can be changed in Key Bindings BUT you will then be unable to type spaces in the Job Manager, as in "[material] [object]"

I think this had a seperate 'back' key in 40d.
Edit: Yep, it had F9 as unique 'back'.

I think Esc is much more standard then Space, but tbh, i changed it back to Space ASAP.
Reason is ergonomics more than habit, i'd have to move my arm to reach escape whereas space is just a finger-twitch away. Very convenient considering the sheer amount of BACK you use navigating the menus.

Don't forget that you can pause/unpause the game within the Squad interface. Having space as "back" would render that function useless.

there's now a real-time menu? how undwarfen is that?
Make it pause like all menus, problem fixed.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:02:12 pm by Lord Snow »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 02:20:25 pm »

I agree, I do miss the old space = back functionality of 40D. Just seems far more natural than escape considering all of the menus in the game and how often you need to go back from a menu.

ESC accesses system functions, like saving/exiting the game. Its good thats out of the way so you don't accidentally do that.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 01:06:39 am »

I think there should be two separate "leave menu" keys: Space for leaving menus such as designations, buildings, building tasks/items, look/view creature, and other commonly-used game-pausing menus; and ESC for important announcements, full screen menus, squads, etc.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:08 am »

I keep hitting space reflexively myself, but personally, I MUCH prefer not having pause/unpause be the same key as exiting a menu. Before I was constantly worried about accidentally unpausing the game when I didn't mean to. I also seem to recall that one of the F keys was previously required randomly for exiting something, and don't seem to have come across that in this version, which I also appreciate.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 11:31:29 am »

I think there should be two separate "leave menu" keys: Space for leaving menus such as designations, buildings, building tasks/items, look/view creature, and other commonly-used game-pausing menus; and ESC for important announcements, full screen menus, squads, etc.

That works too, lets us bind the keys however we like.

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 02:45:17 am »

i'm slowly getting used to using escape but i miss space bar, i liked the way it was consistent.  i used to be able to just hit space a bunch of times to exit out of whatever i was doing, but now it feels like a crapshoot.  i never know if i need to hit escape or space and it throws me off.  i guess i just need more time to adjust
Pages: 1 [2]