Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rabid/possessed monsters. and animals (maybe dwarves?)  (Read 579 times)

capgamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Rabid/possessed monsters. and animals (maybe dwarves?)
« on: July 18, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

I was playing the game last night and got attacked by a zombie mandrill or something and I asked myself, "why are they zombies?"

Well, it seems to me that there should be such a thing as "possessed" or "rabid" animals and monsters that when killed would lie on the ground for a few turns and then become zombified/skeletons. This could be decided by the manor of their death. Burned animals would become skeletons, drowned animals or those killed by dwarfs would become zombies. They would ideally keep whatever injuries they had in "un-life", such as severed limbs, gouged eyes, etc.

When possessed, the creature would always attack on sight and not run away. It would be otherwise just like a normal animal.

The animals could be stopped from coming back to life by either butchering the carcass (which would hold disease, or possibly possess a dwarf that eats it) before it can rise or by tossing it down the chasm/into magma.

f you kill a man''s daughter and throw her severed head at the man in a forest, and it breaks his lower body, does he give in to the pain?

Jaiya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rabid/possessed monsters. and animals (maybe dwarves?)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

I actually love the idea of the unread carrying wounds and characteristics from their death. Drowned, bloated zombies that when cut open let loose a massive cloud of miasma, too.

I don't think you'd have to be so drastic about destroying the corpse though. I'd prefer something like.. remove the head, destroy the brain or heart, or something like that.. and the dwarves either actually knowing this, or learning it through experience/combat.

... also, yes. If Toady makes it so your dwarves can become zombies, I'd be a very, very happy girl.