Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] No dwarf death messages  (Read 1125 times)

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] No dwarf death messages
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:20:57 am »

Unfortunately, I've got no idea what caused this.
My forts been going good for a few years, but if someone died previously, I'd get the standard "struck down" message or some such.

However, after recently getting hit by an ambush, most of my military dwarves got trounced...But the game never told me they died.  Even when I look at the message log, there's no notification of it.
It's not just related to military either, because they've killed a few other civilian dwarves, with no message.  And some time later, a trogolodyte killed one of my miners...again, with no 'struck down' message.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] No dwarf death messages
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:57 am »

Have you done anything to data/init/announcements.txt?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:41:04 am »

Nope, only file I've touched is the basic init.txt.  I never mess with the other files, mostly cause I don't know what I'm messing with.
And there doesn't seem to be anything in the init.txt that could cause the problem either, especially since between the death messages showing up, and them stopping, I didn't edit said file.

Kinda wish I did have more to go off of though...I know a bug that can't be reproduced is bloody hard to find/fix.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:08:20 am »

Hi!

Could you check your combat reports ('r' I think)? Maybe there is some oddity there to be found.

Deathworks

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:08:58 am »

Same for me. Combat related deaths only though, the struck down/ bled out/ suffocated message seems to get buried in the combat report. The two dwarves and a horse that had troubles with magma had their deaths reported as usual (although they were all due to bloodless, not magmification).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »

Okay, yeah...they show up in the combat report (...I didn't even know there was a combat report. o.o )

But yeah, for whatever reason they definitely don't show up under the main announcements.  Makes it hard to keep track of who's alive and who isn't anymore once battles broken out.