Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 Undead Menace  (Read 1266 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2010 Undead Menace
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:36:56 am »

My entire fortress is engaged in attacking this horse. In fact, they've been hitting it for well over most of the season. Unfortunately it will not die, and my fortress will probably crumble as most of my units starve to death.

Has anyone developed a successful strategy to combat undead?

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Undead Menace
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:47:37 am »

Your problem is the fact the marksdwarves do almost nothing against undead, you probably have a better shot at using swords or axes to cleave off the head.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:48:11 am »

You're silly! The answer should be obvious to any true dwarf, apply magma!  ;D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:57 am »

Perhaps the answer here is to...

wait for it...

stop beating a dead horse!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:44:36 am »

The answer is that undead cannot currently be killed in combat.  Your only option (and I'm not being sarcastic this time) is magma, or possibly a cave-in.  Any creature made of non-living materials (like elementals and bronze colossi) seem to be invulnerable to death of any kind from combat, and some even from magma.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:07:28 am »

Yeah. The horse has probably lost all its limbs by now, so it should be safe to only have one dwarf beating it to keep it from slithering away. Then, dig a tunnel under the horse, and ramp the tile under it to make it fall down. Then build walls to contain it forever and keep your dwarves from being frightened and distracted by it.

Depending on the area, it might actually be easier to just have your dwarves retreat and build walls around the horse.

Next, take precautions against future attacks by unkillable horses. Build some walls around the fortress and a lever-operated access airlock, with a retracting bridge floor for dealing with any undead who wander in.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:29:19 am »

Are your dorfs gaining exp from beating this horse?  Because that's awesome.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:56:15 am »

I can't help but notice you're only using blunt weapons. Try cutting it up; I think that works on zombies.

Skeletons are still immortal though.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:31:16 am »

Sure it's not a combat bug? I had a bone carver go berserk and my military of 8 dwarves engaged him, and didn't kill him. At one point they just seemed to stop fighting - no damage was dealt at all, neither by my militia or the berserker, and two of them even reversed their orders to "watch sparring in barracks" or whatever. One was wounded and immobilized and spammed several pages of "cancels rest, interrupted by etc. etc. etc.". They did move around a bit, seemed like, but damned if any damage was done, and all the dwarves in the fortress went to Idle while it was going on. Eventually I tired and just abandoned the fort.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:34:57 am »

Try having militaries entirely of axedwarves. Axes seem to be cutting off limbs a lot more...
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:03:59 am »

I can confirm that these here horses are pretty much unkillable. I released some HFS which decided to attack it, and four of them couldn't kill it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 09:18:42 am »

what about an atom smasher?
just smash the zombie horse with it and go back to taming witches I heard cave traps made of sugar works.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:58:00 pm »

I killed two zombie raccoons, lost 8 to starving during the process though. Most successful was tunneling under it, building a cage trap, then digging a ramp under the coon so it dropped right beside the trap and chased the miner in.

Wrestling and crossbows-as-maces don't do much. You need something edged, or a lot of luck.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.