Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Wizard Mode", up the priority?  (Read 909 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
"Wizard Mode", up the priority?
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

EDIT: By 'wizard mode' I mean the in-game 'cheating' mode to directly manipulate/customize world details. I remember seeing somewhere this play option would show up as 'Wizard' along with 'Fortress' and 'Adventure'.

I do know that a 'wizard mode' is planned, but could some limited features of it be implemented sooner within Fortress and Adventure mode? Would it really be that time consuming to integrate some of the DF utilities into the game? By the time there's an update for a utility, a better version is already out that doesn't work with them.
Yes we should play without cheating, but this is an alpha so we should also be prodding at the engine in every way possible.
Reveal, hide, tile editing, temperature, some creature editing like in DF companion, some creature spawning abilities, possibly the ability to trigger events like sieges or mega beasts.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Idiom ]

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Wizard Mode", up the priority?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Toady has said before that he wants to Fortress mode working better before adding in other content. Considering that Wizard mode would require him to finally implement the dreaded magic system, it's unlikely he'll get around to it soon.

edit: Oh, that wizard mode.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Cosmonot ]

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

But then we'd lose all of the fun involved with attempting to make programs to do these things and keeping them up-to-date. =)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonot:
<STRONG>edit: Oh, that wizard mode.</STRONG>

Can we call it God Mode because:
1) that makes sense
2) "wizard mode" is planned and has nothing to do with your suggestion

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

Toady's said, I think, that he'll do editors of this sort when the game is closer to being not-in-alpha.

Edit:  What I mean to say is that implementing it before everything is in means Toady'd have to spend a lot of time running back and forth and updating DF as well as the 'Cheatmode' options.   Which is a hassle, and slows progress overall.

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

But then all the huge constructions we made tile-by-tile and our worn out Enter keys will all go to waste... ):