Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf music?  (Read 548 times)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Dwarf music?
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

I found no mention of music being implemented in later versions.
Music could make your dwarfs pretty happy or aggressive or sad...
When I think of it it would be kinda complex to implement it...

EDIT: When I think about it there is no dwarf entertainment at all!

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Fishersalwaysdie ]

Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf music?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

...they could be whistling while they work...

Though, I see dwarves more as chanters. Maybe they bang rocks, and roll em around to make music? Maybe they were the first Rock and Roll? =p

ok, i need my coffee...

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

After all, they make instruments, why wouldn't they play some ? This could be a new noble : the musician. A bit like the philosoph. Wants little, and brings some joy.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

I'd rather a dwarf be assigned to music playing: Over time, their skill with an instrument (Or music in general) will increase.  They'd hang around meeting halls or workshops (Perhaps they could be stationed or assigned to one - Putting one in the King's Dining Room would be a nice touch) and would play their music.

Dwarves would get happy thoughts, and maybe a temporary boost to productivity and/or job speed.  More musicians would improve the effect, especially if there's a variety of instruments, and they're all of good quality.  Singing would be used if there's no instrument available, but I think this should be a seperate skill (Maybe combinable with instrumental skills?) and would be harder to increase, because I don't imagine dwarves to be the best singers - A highly trained singer, however, would produce a better effect than a musician of the same skill.

Bad singers and instrumentalists would perhaps generate unhappy thoughts, creating a sort of conundrum: They can't get better without practicing...

Musicians would carry their instrument around like a miner carries his pick, to avoid unnecessary hauling jobs.

If the increase of productivity and speed with better skill/instruments/musicians is a little too powerful, then perhaps music can rely on a percentage based system, where only critical successes and critical failures increase productivity and speed.  If a legendary musician has a masterpiece flute made of adamantite, for example, his chance of success could very will be around 600% - But that just means that he won't produce unhappy thoughts, and has a very good chance of a critical success (Something like a tenth of the percentage chance, so 60% in this case).

That's just what I think, though - Maybe I'm reading too much into it...  It could very well be something as simple as extra happiness, but, in my opinion, music is too powerful a tool to be written off as another 'happy thought'.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

Heh, dwarven bard... I think this is one of the things they would be very slow at learning.  Toady should do it, though!  Always funny when the bard gets killed...

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

I love this idea. Nuff said.

I wonder if musical dwarves could change the music around a certain area based on skill and number of musicians?

Personally I want to recreate the Mos Eisley cantina  :)

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anticheese:
<STRONG>
Personally I want to recreate the Mos Eisley cantina   :)</STRONG>

Argh, now that tune is stuck in my head... GAH!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

Although there are bards and so on planned, I also wanted regular dwarves to pick up instruments when they get together at those parties.  Right now they don't do anything but chat, which is super boring.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!