Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cosmetic information for entities  (Read 374 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Cosmetic information for entities
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

I really like how each dwarves have their own inventories with mud/vomit/blood all over it and sometimes exotic ways of clothing themselves. It gives them character and make you wonder about their lives.

Sometimes i would really hope for a screen  containing a bunch of useless information about them, like missing tooths or bad scars from an old wound, or a half burned beard from an encounter with a mean fire Imp... It would be great to look at one of your starting dwarf in an old fortress and see a hero with countless battle scars, or the legendary bowyer that lost an eye to a goblin now using a glass eye.

Some tags would be acquired in combat, like scars , other could commemorate events in the live of that dwarf like a tattoo or just their social status(unkept beard for a lowly peasant, pale skin for the deep dwellers, nice tan for the outdoorsman)

Im not sure how much information this would add to each entities as i would not want this to slow down the whole fortress after a while, but i think it would greatly enhance the atmosphere of the game... Even more so in adventure mode if you throw in some crude physical description of the examined entity along with its particularities.

Thanks for reading tell me what you think...

p.s. I know it would mean a lot of work just to see what is after all useless information, but even implemented in a simplistic way, it would still be very entertaining in my opinion.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmetic information for entities
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

I dig it.
And the level of mud blood and vomit that accumulates is hilarious but I do wish that it could be cleaned off in a way that doesn't require elaborate near-drownings.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

Yeah, i guess dwarves are too busy trying not to get killed in freak accidents to care about their clothing/body odors much. But all the muck information could be moved to the cosmetic screen to avoid cluttering the more important equipment screen... It's great to see it when you want to but otherwise it's not all that important(yet).

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by viskaslietuvai:
<STRONG>I dig it.
And the level of mud blood and vomit that accumulates is hilarious but I do wish that it could be cleaned off in a way that doesn't require elaborate near-drownings.</STRONG>

Mist Generator rooms in the very center of high traffic areas. The mist cleans off the dwarves, and nobody drowns (except the miner who digs out the pumping system!)

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.