Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Down is the new right?  (Read 2746 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Down is the new right?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 11:08:09 am »

I ended up building a fortress inside of a cave, and I keep losing dwarves to caveins from when I'm accidently chopping down stalagmites and stalagtites.

These giant rock pillars could be, or not be, connected to the ceiling, and its hard to go 20 z's up then 20 z's back down just because you need to check for each one..

Kinda wish there was a way to make certain things mine-warnable. like a differant icon when trying to dig a square which will result in a cave-in.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:35 am »

Yep, hotkeys are your friends. I usually have them set to zoom to the entrance of the fort, the stockpiles, the workshops, the farms, and wherever I'm mining at the moment.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 11:37:19 am »

The issue with central planning for me is that it's just not as aesthetically-pleasing. I am experimenting with a variation of central planning, though, but I'm not really going to put a lot of effort into it until we are able to see multiple z-levels at once somehow. It would be multiple z-levels mined out to create larger zeds with multi-story structures, and staggering those larger zeds so that the ground floor of one is a balcony in the middle of another. This would be really spectacular with vertical ladders, too. I want to combine sprawl with centralization in a way that feels less military and more the peak of dwarfish culture.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 02:39:33 pm »

The real issue I was trying to bring up was

"If everything interesting is 90 Z levels down, doesn't that mean I'll have to build 90 separate staircases to get there? Isn't that a bit time consuming?"
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »

Well, not EVERYTHING is 90 levels down. But anyway, yes. 90 staircases is a lot, but you can either bring the features to you or bring your fort to the features.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 07:30:53 pm »

Well, not EVERYTHING is 90 levels down. But anyway, yes. 90 staircases is a lot, but you can either bring the features to you or bring your fort to the features.

what how
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Greyjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 07:47:06 pm »

I'm doing a bit of both - still only have about 60 dwarves, but about 20 are the exploratory team (four miners, a couple support staff, and two good-sized squads of trained dwarves in iron), about 25 are keeping things running up top and building surface fortifications against the inevitable gobbo rushes, and the rest are doing pretty much whatever springs to mind in between; setting up intermediate base camps, designing trap corridors, exploiting already-struck cavern levels, shuttling gems/ores up and the occasional food shipment down, etc.

Burrows make life SO much easier when you're like me and basically have at least two and a half forts that are largely independent of one another (and separated by about two hundred feet of rock, water, and beasties).

I suppose you COULD just move your entire fort into the caves and make the traders come in after you.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 07:48:34 pm »

Easiest way to dig downwards is to press D, then I, click where you want the stairs, then hold > or < without letting go of the mouse button.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:34:36 pm by immibis »
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 10:05:18 pm »

Easiest way to dig downwards is to press [d] click where you want the stairs, then hold > or < without letting go of the mouse button.

I love you.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:08:12 pm »

Easiest way to dig downwards is to press [d] click where you want the stairs, then hold > or < without letting go of the mouse button.

I love you.
Awesome pro-tip.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 11:11:33 pm »

I used nanofortress quite often with the previous version of DF since I'm on a crappy PC. With the changes to the underground going with a 1-tile embark can get you just about everything now, just a matter of going deep. Should make nanofortress even more popular, assuming it gets updated for the new version.

Anyway, having used it often, I have a fort layout that doesn't extend past a single map grid(48x48) on any one z-level.
Pages: 1 [2]