Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help with the new version  (Read 638 times)

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need help with the new version
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:11 am »

That's a generic topic if I've ever heard one but yea. I'm rather invested in my fortress and I use the Mayday version of the game because I honestly can't tell ass from elbows with the normal graphics. Is there a way of upgrading the game and preserving my save file? Like taking the new raws or something and changing them out with the old ones?
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with the new version
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:09:54 am »

No. To much has changed between versions. Once dfhack is properly updated to the new version, it may be possible to convert some aspects of the game, but it would be a lot of work and it may be some time before enough of the new game is understood to make it possible.

On the plus side, this should be the last save compatibility break for a long time, this release took so long because Toady tried to include every feature that would require such a break, rather than have to break compatability every few months.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:13:17 am »

Short: No.

Long: Saves are absolutely incompatible. No way to use 40d saves in 2010 or the other way around, no matter if the Mayday set is involved or not. There will probably be a Mayday set for 2010 soon, but it can't be compatible with the old version either.
Just keep playing your old fort with 40d19, if you are so attached to it or start a new one. Lots of fun and general epicness are awaiting with the new version.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:04 am »

Damn, yea the reason I was so attached is because its the first fort I've built that hasn't died instantly to something and is on an awesome map.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:25:29 am »

Actually it appears the mayday version is 40d16. Which brings me to my next question, what would it take to just take the tileset from this version and plug it into the update?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:07:54 am »

Not much. Df2010 currently lacks PNG support so you have to use an older version of Mayday. Can't remember which number you need, but someone already set it up. Theres a link to it on the wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page