Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fertilizer  (Read 1016 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Fertilizer
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:34:06 pm »

Well, I need to make fertilizer now. All in all that's a cool story, bro, but I'm having problems making a Farmer's Workshop (which I need right? I never used fertilizer in 40d). It says it needs any workshop farming profession. I've turned on farming, potash making, lye making, milling, brewing, even dyeing and soapmaker on on one of my dwarves, but he just sits around No Job. What do I need to do?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:36:11 pm »

Try turning on Plant Processing. That's what most Farmer's workshop jobs use. Also make sure you didn't accidentally forbid the unbuilt workshop.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:03:23 pm »

Potash was used as fertilizer in the previous version, wasn't it?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:09:08 pm »

Furthermore, isn't potash made at the Ashery, and not Farmer's Workshop?

And is fertilizer all that neccessary?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »

I thought I needed it to grow Plump Helmets. It says I have no seeds- I presuem that means applicable ones.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:27:56 pm »

no you need mud, not fertalizer.
Nom nom nom

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 07:32:05 pm »

Yeah, the new version has it so that you can only grow underground crops in mud, but you can make the mud on any surface and not just soil/sand now.

Which, of course, means you need to muck around with aqueduct silliness. Fun stuff, until you flood your cave. >_<
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:56:19 pm »

you can make the mud on any surface and not just soil/sand now.
You could before.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »

Just designate a pond 1 z-level above your farms; your dwarves will then "irrigate" the ground as they toss water into the pond. Remove pieces of the zone until everything is covered in mud and set your farms up then.
"Extinction is not an option."