Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best and worst of 2010  (Read 1248 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Best and worst of 2010
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:28:44 pm »

+ Burrows.   Just being able to designate burrows is incredible. It still needs some work (such as being able to sort the burrows you designate if you feel you've designated them in the "wrong" order), but it's incredible, and has so much potential. This is so far the best feature of Dwarf Fortress 2010.

+ The depths.   This has to be my number two choice. The fact that the game generates random enemies for you and that every site has a variety of Hidden Fun Stuff and other features if you dig deep enough makes it far more interesting. It also goes a long way towards alleviating the monotony of the late-game in earlier versions -- now, when the game starts getting boring, you can start vertical exploratory mining and see what you find.

- Combat.   Hard to decide what to put here, because I'm reluctant to put bugs or shortcomings caused by the game being in an alpha state, but I'm going to have to put combat after all. Mostly because the #1 reason for me (and the rest of us) looking forward to burrows was that it'd make combat a lot less frustrating. Ironically, 2010 seems to have broken combat (and to a degree squads and the squad UI system) pretty badly :-\ . So there you have it... not a very constructive piece of feedback given that this is obviously something waiting to be fixed, but my #1 gripe regardless.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Best and worst of 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:51:49 pm »

+ A very fortunate bug: when you make pearlash once, you will never run out.
くコ:彡

kurrata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:54:39 pm »

I would say military stuff is +
UI is horrible but its in all game like that and once you learn the tricks it isn't so bad anymore.
I am still very bad at it but i like it more then previous military system already you can do so much more with it.

And after bugs get ironed out it should be great

The only thing i am missing is to give individual schedule to some soldiersin squad(like they should guard assigned burrow while other dwarfs rest/train) or make sub squads and for each sub squad their own schedule(maybe you can do it even now i just haven't discovered how jet)

Combat itself is broken right now but it is great that weapon has piercing, slashing, bludgeon damage and each armor has ressistance to those attacks.
I think its just playing with numbers till it gets more or less balanced

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08:33 pm »

Best thing about combat? It's incredibly realistic. The new body layers, proper impact surface simulation - it's really made for a more interesting and believable combat system. Especially with the new health care system to treat it.  ;D

Worst thing about combat? It's incredibly realistic. Which gets really, really bad when applied to non-realistic creatures. When most deaths are from bleeding/infections, and most fights end when one combatant falls unconscious, skeletons and bronze colossi have a bit of an unfair advantage.  :o

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:14:23 pm »

Worst thing about combat? It's incredibly realistic. Which gets really, really bad when applied to non-realistic creatures. When most deaths are from bleeding/infections, and most fights end when one combatant falls unconscious, skeletons and bronze colossi have a bit of an unfair advantage.  :o

They are meant to have an unfair advantage. The point is that the way left to kill them; Shattering, seems broken.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:21:18 pm »

I am glad that dwarves dont seem uber invincible now, glad to have mobs that are challenging beyond the clowns.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:46:34 pm »

Combat and the underground are definitely the best new features. It's refreshing to have gobbos that can actually threaten your squad whereas before ten wrestlers could destroy an entire goblin siege without any problems.

And the depths are just beautiful, I've spent ages training a special squad who just explore the entire thing and kill the dangerous beasts so I can move the citizens in.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:53:17 pm »

I'm probably alone with it but I really like the new military system. Whereas it's hard to get behind, once you do it's an incredibly powerful and versatile tool.

As for my least favourite thing? Immortal creatures which have spelled the end for many of my fortresses.

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:10:29 pm »

+ Caverns.  I haven't really had a chance to do much in them yet, but they seem really interesting, and give you something cool to do and explore when you're not under siege.

+ The new Kill and Move squad commands.  They work really well compared to the combination of station/patrol/prayer that you had to rely on before.

- Everything else about the new military.  In two years, I could not get one single moment of training out of my squad.  At first they wouldn't activate at all unless they had a currently active move or kill command.  Then I finally got them to activate by creating about five overlapping barracks zones, but they would just stand around waiting for training drills for eternity, never actually starting one, even when every single one of them was present and accounted for.  They went on to have their arms chopped off by goblins without landing a single hit, leading to the brutal massacre of half of the fortress's population.

- No more bone/shell stockpiles.  They were reclassified as "[animal type] parts" and it's really inconvenient when I want to make bone bolts or whatever.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 05:13:33 pm »

The best?
The depths, the medical system, the new military system, buyable sand

The worst?
Certain bugs (which hopefully will get fixed soon)
like acid rain, scarcity of fish or the problems with pathing.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 07:22:11 pm »

- Everything else about the new military.  In two years, I could not get one single moment of training out of my squad.  At first they wouldn't activate at all unless they had a currently active move or kill command.  Then I finally got them to activate by creating about five overlapping barracks zones, but they would just stand around waiting for training drills for eternity, never actually starting one, even when every single one of them was present and accounted for.  They went on to have their arms chopped off by goblins without landing a single hit, leading to the brutal massacre of half of the fortress's population.

The trick to this is making sure to set the mininium trainaing amount to a reasonable number like 2( its set to 10 by default so you would need a full squad of ten to starting real training). This is done on the schedule screen m - s then e to edit current orders. The minium training number is then set with +,- and then shift+enter. This greatly helped my fort.

Other wise I'm loving the new healthcare system and combats systems, Having comat report in DF mode is the greatest thing ever.

The one thing that I would like to see is more coloration in the combat logs, or better parsing. Its can be really hard to read the logs when there not much visial difference from the 10 blocked attacks and the one that hit.