Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Underground plant growth issue  (Read 676 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Underground plant growth issue
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:50:36 pm »

I dug out a large cavern in a soil layer, and it ended up half silty clay, and half yellow sand, no rock floor anywhere. I breached an underground cavern and plants started to grow. Now the entire cavern I dug is totally enclosed and has never been exposed to sunlight, but the underground plants are only growing on the sandy half of the cavern! Nothing is allowed in there (the only way in has a locked door) so nothing is running over them and killing them, but nothing is growing in the actual soil.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Underground plant growth issue
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »

Perhaps they're different Biomes
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:21:39 pm »

They are underground, like I said. Not exposed to the sky, haven't been exposed to the sky,  it's one big rectangle dug into a soil layer.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 03:26:55 pm »

I have had underground trees and shrubs popping up in soil layers since breaching a cavern.  In my case it's silty clay loam, so it's not just a matter of sand vs other soils.  I haven't mined out any of the sand layer yet, might try that and see what grows.

AFAIK there does not need to be air exchange between the underground water and the growth location.  The underground water just needs to have been discovered.  IE you could dig two completely independent burrows (interesting choice of word but if it's good enough for Toady  ;) ) with only one in contact with the water source (the other one walled in even), and I think plants would grow in the other.  Just an assumption of course...