Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion: Designation/Stockpile enhancements:  (Read 500 times)

Raerlynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Designation/Stockpile enhancements:
« on: September 05, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »

I'd like to see a new designation object "Put away items" which when used marks the area as a priority to clear out stones/wood/etc, making it much easier to clean out crucial structures (farms, stockpiles, etc.)

Also the ability to specify subtypes of goods in stockpiles would be awesome (one type for light stone, one for dark, one type for copper ore, one for tin etc.)

Combined, they make fortress resource management much easier and much less frusterating.

Lege

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Designation/Stockpile enhancements:
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

I wholeheartedly agree. I was also considering posting this same thread as I want to designate specific metal stockpiles right next to veins.

Also, I was thinking of "catchment areas" for  stockpiles. You could set them like rooms, and all the items that are supposed to be hauled into the stockpile and fall into the catchment area are prioritized so that they're meant to be hauled there. The items are hauled to a different stockpile if that stockpile is full, however.

sawtooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »

The best method to use for now is to turn off Dwarves gather minerals when mining out locations for buildings/farms.  Then turn it back on once you are finished building these structures.  The reason dwarves end up suspending construction from rocks in the way is that they are tasked up for someone else to move which makes it so they refuse to move the item out of the way when building.  With hauling off you'll be able to build workshops/farms with much less hassle.  Just turn it back on afterwards.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 05:26:00 pm »

Really?  I thought that was a feature.  I've been waiting for people to use the rocks on precious farmland.  Geez.

sawtooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:01:00 am »

Of course, nothing is going to stop say a mason somewhere from adding a stone hauling task back to his workshop if they need it, but other than that turning off gather minerals temporarily is a nice trick until the game is smart enough to work around it.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

I second this motion and call for a vote. I would like to be able to designate areas to clear, similar to how farmers clear fields, though preferably be able to designate larger areas to speed clearing hallways.