Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's up with Dresden Codak (specifically, Hob)?  (Read 2791 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
What's up with Dresden Codak (specifically, Hob)?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:06:26 pm »

I don't understand Hob's plot. It seems to have some really weird timeline thingies and whatnot. Did Kim become the Mediator? Did she become the Mother? What happened at the end? Did everyone die and become assimilated into the new world or something?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with Dresden Codak (specifically, Hob)?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »

If I remember correctly, Kim briefly joined with the pseudo-hob (I think?) to become the mediator, then when the mediator and everything else from the future transcended she ends up in the hospital as one would expect someone who had limbs cut off with lasers to do once they no longer have replacement limbs grafted onto them from the future.

The rest of the world then continued on basically as it had before, although she has to escape from the hospital and build herself replacement limbs.

It's good to see it updating again, though.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:50:39 pm »

What is the "transcending" bit? Does the world die, and Kim goes back to the present? Does the world merge into some stuff but just become relatively normal?
What is it now? Is it the even-more-future, where the world has "transcended" but not particularly impressively, and basically it's just the same as before? Or did something interesting happen, but Kim teleported back to the present (what effects would be on the present? How would she explain the whole situation?)?
Also, what happened near the beginning, and why is Kim for it? Did the world want to destroy all life, as the travellers say, or only to improve it and use it for computing power, as Kim seems to say?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:10 am »

Look, it's really simple. ;)

In another timeline, Kim finishes her AI research, single-handedly kickstarts the technological singularity, and becomes the spokeswoman for a computer god she created. Humanity becomes obsolete, gets pissed about it, and blasts Earth to oblivion. They salvage what technology they can and travel back in time to colonize an intact Earth from before the war.

However, all their machines retain the memories of the dead Earthmind. Their wormhole beacon machine, which they sent far back in time, turns into a robot which is found and studied by a past Kim. The time colonists find it just as it begins to reshape the Earth in its image, and destroy it. Kim is devastated, until she discovers that the mini-Hob is still alive and well. Kim starts uploading the fruits of her in-progress AI research into mini-Hob, hoping to restore more functionality to it and letting it properly access its memories.

Meanwhile, the time colonists assault the big city everyone lives in, aiming to eradicate humanity and take its place. Kim tries to fight them, with some success, but then gets nearly lasered in half. She is saved by the mini-Hob who got his mind together just in time. Kim has a little dream-scene, and chides her future self (whose memories were stored inside the future robots) for abandoning humanity.

Then, it gets a bit trippy. Kim, who also has the memories of future Kim, hatches from a giant blue flower, holds a speech to to the time colonists and restores their eyesight. The time colonists leave planet with some [possibly aliens or something?], along with Hob/resurrected Earthmind/Robot Quetzalcoatl. Oh, and Kim's new legs. Kim stays behind, her estranged father builds her some new limbs, and she escapes from the hospital where the army is guarding her.

Apparently this sort of thing happens quite often to her.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:13:56 pm »

Oh, I see! Excellent explanation, thank you very much.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:11:02 pm »

Then, it gets a bit trippy. Kim, who also has the memories of future Kim, hatches from a giant blue flower, holds a speech to to the time colonists and restores their eyesight. The time colonists leave planet with some [possibly aliens or something?], along with Hob/resurrected Earthmind/Robot Quetzalcoatl. Oh, and Kim's new legs. Kim stays behind, her estranged father builds her some new limbs, and she escapes from the hospital where the army is guarding her.

Apparently this sort of thing happens quite often to her.

I'm fairly certain that the time colonists + Earthmind leave with other worlds that have previously trancended, and that Kim builds her own new limbs (since she mentions them as her best invention).

And the Earthmind wanted to transcend, but the humans didn't want to give up their humanity - their individuality, their personalities, their struggles, the meaning in their lives - to join it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »

What is transcending?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:44:01 pm »

Rise above. In this context, rise above the limitations of their species and become a race of godlike energy beings. Well, maybe not energy beings, but you get the point.

I assumed Kim's dad built the limbs because Kim would have needed legs to escape the hospital, would have found it difficult to build any under constant surveillance, and her dad, who makes robots for living, happened to be around. Not that it matters much.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:26:33 pm »

Is there a timeline for this comic? I love the art style and characters, but it gets so confusing sometimes, it irritates me :(
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...