Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armour weight and falling ~Spoilers  (Read 1086 times)

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armour weight and falling ~Spoilers
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:49 pm »

I've been considering the possibility of making a Dwarven Drop Trooper squad in fortress mode, which would involve tunnels throughout the sky of the map with periodic retractable bridges. The Dwarves station on the bridge, a lever is pulled, then they drop into the fray to bypass ranged units.

I went to arena mode to test out the fundamental problem, i.e. Dwarves dying/injuring on impact from high falls, and I found something interesting: Slade is the most protective armour for this.

Now this may seem obvious, but think about it, Slade is super heavy. In theory a Dwarf should be crushed just wearing it, let alone dropping in it. However, when clad in Slade armour, the Dwarves took the least injuries. I tested from the top Z-Level over the initial floor (next to the magma pool, water pool, and river), and most of the Dwarves would live with only one broken/mangled part, and often would not be stunned.

For reference. Unarmored Dwarves will die on impact, or occasionally a tough one will live to bleed out from a shattered body. Testing with normal armour improves survivability, but they would still often be stunned/unconscious on impact, with a couple yellows and reds. Adamantine didn't seem to help much more than other armour, though it reduced the number of reds slightly and I believe stopped unconsciousness, but stunning still occurred, and Slade I've described.

The point is, weight doesn't seem to have an effect on the ability for armour to protect against falling. Also, the amount of armour pieces corresponded inversely with the number of injuries, once again, weight doesn't change anything. However, I'm not sure if my Drop Trooper idea is feasible, simply because stunning means death in the fray, and my Dwarves may still get stunned on arrival.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Armour weight and falling ~Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:18:57 pm »

Distract enemies by dropping ring of kittens around your troops.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:50:12 pm »

At least in 40d, creatures landing on other creatures took no damage.  So the solution is a pillow of kittens being dropped, followed by your soldiers.

Though kittens might lead to a tantrum spiral when they shatter on impact or get killed by the siegers; try a less useful damning creature.  Maybe mules.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »

The pope has the right idea, but I think the best idea is to drop water on the enemy to push them around/disrupt them in other ways before dropping both animals or troops.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »

isn't falling instantaneous? therefore weight would have no affect, only the protective abilities of the armor?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:17:25 pm »

So we do it like this?

/ D

Maybe a timed action with the above array... have a trigger down under the whole thing that starts a water slide that triggers (in quick succesion);

-Water drop on enemy
-Cute Kitten and mule drop ontop of confused enemy
-Dwarfs to land on kitten pillow
~Intermission while angry dwarfs and wet kittens claw, bite and chop the enemy apart.
-Magma ontop of it all to "clean up" all the tiny remaining

... god I wanan see a veteran dwarf of that combat style... "Not like the sound of a kitten under your high boots when you swing your axe down on a wet goblin head..."

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:43:53 pm »

isn't falling instantaneous? therefore weight would have no affect, only the protective abilities of the armor?

Only cave-ins are instantaneous. Anything else falling falls at the same speed. 150z levels is about 30 seconds of freefall.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:55 pm »

Weight wouldn't affect falling speed anyway, only air resistance would.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:06:11 pm »

In 40d, and I assume in DF2010 as well, all creatures and objects fall at a fixed speed of 1 Z-level per 6 ticks.  Mass does not affect falling speed, and air resistance doesn't seem to be modeled at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:16:59 pm »

Weight would have an effect on the impact, as it would have more momentum on impact than the dwarf inside.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »

Well in real life, yes. HOWEVER, in dwarf physics things fall at a rate of u (Standing for Urist, the speed of a falling dwarf). The strange thing is that things fall at a rate of u regardless of your frame of reference...