Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Migrants are evil  (Read 3905 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants are evil
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 04:37:53 pm »

And the init setting only works when it feels like it.  I just started a new fort yesterday with a pop cap of 30 and I got two waves of migrants AFTER I reached it and I still don't know if they've stopped.  My current population is 45 and I'm seriously considering constructing a chamber of attrition.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 10:32:33 pm »

I honestly have never really understood the killing one's own dwarves for amusement. I just don't get it. I actually feel very protective of my dwarves and try to make life easy for them and keep them alive.

The degree of dwarf antipathy in DF is totally explainable for 3 reasons:
  • Nobles, and the associated Rage.
  • The impossibility of keeping all your dwarfs alive.  Sure, you may have that one fort that is a dwarfly paradise, but how many innocent souls were sacrificed before you learned how not to immediately kill your helpless charges.  Embracing the unavoidable death is simply one way to cope with our lack of control.
  • There is no win condition.  This means that, eventually, you will tire of your pristine construction.  What do we do with dominoes once we're done building towers?  That's right:

Actually, maybe I just come from that rare RTFM school of thought, because I spent three days reading the wiki and parts of this forum before I embarked on my first fort, which I am getting my incoming queen on right now... It hasn't been a bloodless run, I've lost 2 dwarves to a goblin elite marksman, 2 to goblin ambushes of wood haulers who weren't able to path back into the safety of the fortress once they started panicking, 2 to cave-ins, 1 to a training accident, and 1 to being a countess consort who had an accident.  (And given my recent stand against this dwarf-slaughter, I've subsequently decided that, in the interest of self-consistancy, I will no longer off nobles.)

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to destroy my fortress, either.  I'd rather it stay in a sort of limbo, where I can at least imagine that, after I retired, my dwarves were able to go on to make a peaceful and stable existence within their mountainhome.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 12:35:19 am »

trial and error is much more fun ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:53 am »

Migrants aren't evil. They can be given jobs.
Babies and children however are like vermin.
The bastards are the sole reason my framerate is in the low teens to single figures.
I can't believe I'm even thinking it, but I'm trying to devise ways to dispose of babies and children quickly and efficiently. My swim trainer works(ish) for drowning babies, but it's too slow. One baby at a time usually means that another one of the parasites is born as the previous one drowns.
Children are an even bigger problem. They have the gall to talk to people and as a consequence, become friends with them. They also resolutely ignore my requests to pull the lever in the departure lounge.
I was initially enthralled with the idea of breeding generations of dwarves, but it's like wading through treacle now the dorfcount is up to 242, 86 of which are babies or children.
They are a plague and they must be culled.
It's for the good of the fortress.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 09:45:22 am »

I was initially enthralled with the idea of breeding generations of dwarves, but it's like wading through treacle now the dorfcount is up to 242, 86 of which are babies or children.
They are a plague and they must be culled..

With that many children, it's easy to corral a lot of them together for whatever nefarious purpose you've got.

Build a large room with a retractable bridge for a floor.  I like 10X10.  Be sure to surround it with constructed walls that can't be reached from outside the room, and put a lockable door in.  Designate all the walls to be deconstructed.  Victims Citizens will rush over to do your bidding.  Many of them will be children, particularly if you've got a massive hauling task cued occupying all the adults.  If any adults do wander into the room, simply un-designate the wall removal they're working on and they'll leave.  Once you have a satisfactory number of children penned in, lock the door and retract the bridge.

With populations like yours I like to gather several loads of children in a holding pen below before I *ahem* dispose of them.  Your method of choice is limited only by your imagination and that atrophied excuse for a conscious.  Encasing children in obsidian en masse allows you to carve and engrave a terrific and terrifying room/labyrinth/prison for any pansies parents too week to shoulder the loss of their mewling spawn.
At last, she is done.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 03:44:26 pm »

Sure, some people play for no reason other than filling their video game cruelty quota, but plenty of us spend loads of time working on harmonized forts and only occasionally submerge a hundred-dwarf hovel in magma.

Thats a hell of a big hovel.

moosejuice

• Bay Watcher
  • It ate Urist...WHOLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »

There are two things you are forgetting about dwarf fortress.
1. Magam solves EVERYTHING
2. losing is Fun
Its very similar to Gravity.

The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 07:57:43 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51075

See my suggestion. It also links another, much more intricate suggestion.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2010, 12:16:38 am »

I can't help but think it's become a bandwagon to judge OP and others without fully understanding their plight, because I just can't understand some of the hostile responses when he said that he literally cannot starve the migrants fast enough. He embarked immediately into death and destruction, and yet migrants are hitting so hard that he can't seem to lose if he wants to.

Somehow, I don't think such an extreme case can fall under any condition of ridicule... Instead I'd recommend regenning a new world, my best guess to a cause of this would be a VERY overpopulated mountainhome with an extreme surplus of migrants waiting to leave. It's an absolutely ridiculous worst case scenario, I've never heard of anything like it.

Migrants take note: "because everyone else was doing it" isn't a good enough reason to do much of anything.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2010, 02:52:00 am »

Thank you Graebeard; you've inspired me. I've adapted my depot magmaduct drainage system to hold a bridge assembly such as you've mentioned above the volcano opening. I'm still waiting for the walls to be built around the bridge, but I'm well on the way. I also need to cull some champions too; I have over 60. Thankfully, those will just stand dutifully where I need them to, and people don't care as much if they die. I'll try and record the event as it happens.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2010, 03:42:18 am »

I honestly have never really understood the killing one's own dwarves for amusement. I just don't get it. I actually feel very protective of my dwarves and try to make life easy for them and keep them alive.

The degree of dwarf antipathy in DF is totally explainable for 3 reasons:
  • Nobles, and the associated Rage.
  • The impossibility of keeping all your dwarfs alive.  Sure, you may have that one fort that is a dwarfly paradise, but how many innocent souls were sacrificed before you learned how not to immediately kill your helpless charges.  Embracing the unavoidable death is simply one way to cope with our lack of control.
  • There is no win condition.  This means that, eventually, you will tire of your pristine construction.  What do we do with dominoes once we're done building towers?  That's right:

The difference is, when we demolish buildings in real life, we don't do it while people are still in them.

I don't get the migrant hate either. I always have openings for migrants, and given that I use Dwarf Therapist I don't give two rotten eggs about what their profession is coming in. If it's not directly useful or applicable they get shoved into whatever profession I see fit.

That said, I do enjoy being sadistic. It's why, among other things, I enjoy games where I can run around a sandbox town murdering civilians, preferably with flamethrowers.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]