Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please DO NOT release the next version yet!!  (Read 1213 times)

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please DO NOT release the next version yet!!
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:51:28 pm »

I've been wondering if it's really a good idea to release the next version so soon. As it stands, I still have Mass Effect 2 to finish, I haven't yet started Dragon Age, and I'm involved in a PBEM game of War in the Pacific (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528)... on top of that, I'm temporarily living abroad and have a lot of work for my job.

Toady One, please wait until I can clear some things off my plate! As somebody who has been following the Dev notes and played 2D DF back in the age of Boatmurdered... I can't handle another time sink like this!  :( :( :(

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Please DO NOT release the next version yet!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »

You could always just not play the new version.

...Okay, I can't say that with a straight face, I'll admit it.  But you could justify it by deciding not to play the new build until it reaches "stable" status (or at least as close to that as 40d was compared to 39a).
Sanity is for the weak.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:04:37 pm »

Feh.  I've kept myself from a new version before.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:05 pm »

Other worldly matters do not affect the unstoppable force that is Dwarf Fortress.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:20:09 pm »

It's not that DF is a timesink too many, as it is that you need to stop your other timesinks.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:20:30 pm »

T->FFlaguna->P

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:42:06 pm »

Oh- So you actually have games to distract yourself? Poor guys like me have to wait for an updated Dwarf Therapist.  :-[

Maybe you should just cancel your job? Might give you some free time.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »

I do want the incoming update. And if you keep telling yourself to wait a month in which most of the remaining bugs will be squashed under Armok's mighty boot, it shouldn't be that hard to resist the temptation.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:34:36 pm »

I almost half heartedly support the OP. The new release is going to steal so much time from my revision...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »

Death to the non-believers! For DF 2010!

Now that I have gotten that out of my system, ;D at least the mac people have a little more time to put their affairs in order before retreating into seclusion. Of course you could also take that as that we are not the favored ones who have the privilege of playing DF 2010 in its natural bug-infested state.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:44 pm »

...BURN HIM!
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 08:31:24 pm »

...BURN HIM!

[Scruffy]Second.[/Scruffy]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:41:17 pm »

shoot I was going to rebuild wily castle from megaman '10 or the entire floating isle from Cave story '10 but then I realize my fast pc is dying and that kills performance time on doing those things that and getting mason to design a death trap for a blue robot and stick a dungeon robot masters in empty rooms is killer when they don't stay there. let's not get into the hard task of making a Dorf version of a game one never played (cavestory '10).
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »

Of course you could also take that as that we are not the favored ones who have the privilege of playing DF 2010 in its natural bug-infested state.

OTOH, we get to contend with WINE+DF for that glorious time, never sure quite where a given bug comes from.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.