Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Performing dwarven surgey?  (Read 962 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Performing dwarven surgey?
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:53:34 pm »

So, I have a very specific need.

I want to take a champion dwarf, and lop off at least one of his limbs but not kill him.

Whats the best way to go about doing this?

Using spike traps or dropping the dwarf a few Z levels will easily cause injuries, but these injuries will heal over time. Removing limbs will not heal, and so that dwarf will remain bedridden forever.

Basically I want a champion to be crippled forever. I then plan on parking his bed next to the entrance, and assigning a squad to him. The squad will be set to off duty so they will happily spar, but if they're not sparring, boozing, eating, or sleeping they will hang out by the front door without needing to assign meeting zones or having to put them on duty.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Performing dwarven surgey?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:00:11 pm »

Hrm, first thing that comes to my mind is to set up something to drop him a few z levels, then save before dropping him, and if you don't get the injuries you want, reload and drop again?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:05:30 pm »

Hrm, first thing that comes to my mind is to set up something to drop him a few z levels, then save before dropping him, and if you don't get the injuries you want, reload and drop again?

The OP specifically said that this won't work, because he wants to lop off a limb, but if the injury is to the spine or brain it should.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:09:03 pm »

I know creatures that enjoying ripping off chunks rather than just trying to murder dwarves are likely to rip a limb - the first thing that comes to mind is a giant cave spider, but there's probably something else that would suffice. How you'd get the creature to stop attacking once the limb is gone is beyond me. I assume a lot of savescumming would be involved. Possibly you could set up the limb-ripping in a caged area so that when the dwarf falls down it becomes out of reach.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:25 pm »

The OP specifically said that this won't work, because he wants to lop off a limb, but if the injury is to the spine or brain it should.

Yup. I never want him to get up out of bed. Best way to do this is to remove a few limbs, but severe brain damage will also do this. It just seems easier to lop off limbs without killing the dwarf than it is to break his brain without killing him.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:24:40 pm »

Just so you know an injured dwarf does not always end up in their own bed.  I've seen several dwarves end up in the barracks instead of their own rooms when they got injured.

But if you're serious about hacking off limbs try this.  Build a single disc or large axe weapon trap, wall it in so that there's only a single doorway.  Use a trap door or something to get him in there and lock the door.  Theoretically he should eventually fall asleep and I think all unconscious creatures trigger traps.  So if the axe blade doesn't kill him there's a good chance it could lop off a limb.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:46:47 pm »

Just so you know an injured dwarf does not always end up in their own bed.  I've seen several dwarves end up in the barracks instead of their own rooms when they got injured.

But if you're serious about hacking off limbs try this.  Build a single disc or large axe weapon trap, wall it in so that there's only a single doorway.  Use a trap door or something to get him in there and lock the door.  Theoretically he should eventually fall asleep and I think all unconscious creatures trigger traps.  So if the axe blade doesn't kill him there's a good chance it could lop off a limb.

Its very easy to make them be moved to a certain bed. Just forbid all beds in your fortress except the bed you want him in.

A dwarf will then move the cripple to that one remaining bed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 04:51:17 pm »

Dwarves will never willingly go to sleep on top of a trap (as of 40d) - they will sooner go insane. Thus, you'll have to force them unconscious, preferably using cave-in dust.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 04:58:34 pm »

Dwarves will never willingly go to sleep on top of a trap (as of 40d) - they will sooner go insane. Thus, you'll have to force them unconscious, preferably using cave-in dust.

Oooo...I must exploit this!

Dwarven deathmatch! Lock a super champion in a closet until he goes berserk, then open the door and pit him against another champion.  ;D

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 06:53:50 pm »

wait locking them in closet cause them to go insane?
Rob McKelbladders admire a good door lately x1200
Rob McKelbladders gone stark raving mad!
Rob Mckelbladders cancels Madness got acquitted.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 06:55:49 pm »

wait locking them in closet cause them to go insane?
Rob McKelbladders admire a good door lately x1200
Rob McKelbladders gone stark raving mad!
Rob Mckelbladders cancels Madness got acquitted.
Why would you want to lock humans?