Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jeff Scarlet's "The Family"  (Read 1254 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Jeff Scarlet's "The Family"
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:48:42 am »

I've been reading the book "The Family" By Jeff Scarlet and while my initial reaction was skepticism I must admit its a rather terrifying book. Its rather misinterpreted because it purports to be about "American Christian Fundamentalism"when it really is about something far more sinister then what most of us think about when we envision "fundies". It talks about the loose confederacy of powerful and influential people who believe themselves to be "chosen". They're basically parroting the idea of "divine right" along with the idea that not only are they divinely elected to rule but that they basically have immunity to any sort of human laws.

This is combined with a moral system which can be best described as a belief that Thor/Odin is working through them and that their desires are actually Odin's desires. In their mind set they're basically chosen by Odin and he's given them just completely free range to go dick wild. Worse yet, they basically instill in their recruits a sort of unquestioning loyalty paradoxically combine with the same sociopathic disregard for others which leaves them with this sort of giggling, joyous vacuum where their soul should be.

And while the authenticity of all this is of course open for debate (Though there is a strong amount of evidence that the author is not lying, perhaps applying bias but not lying) the ideas are a hot bed of distressing dis-Utopian imaginings, the stuff that 1984 and Brave New world are made of. I fear this sort of insidious evil more then I fear overt evil.

Killing thousands in a genocide is evil, but standing by with a big grin while millions starve so that you may further your own selfish ambitions under the blanket protection of a self serving religious doctrine is just distressingly evil.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff Scarlet's "The Family"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:54:42 am »

Not read it, so can't comment on the book itself.

As for your argument, it's the reason why there are so many organizations out there begging you for money to save the starving children in country X. Go ahead and adopt one if you feel the burning of your social conscience.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:54:59 am »

I know this is a bad thing and all, but Kane was pretty badass.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »

I haven't read this book, but I am going to have to. It's for a class, you see. I have heard reviews of it overhyping though.  ::)

In any event, The Family is secretive, so you can't confirm if the person is right or not. Which makes me rather suspicious of the book actually being true. It would be like a conservative board writing about a secretive group of liberals wanting to promote liberalism...and then adding in their trademark conservative bias on top of that.

I remember reading in the Middle Ages about the so-called "exposes" of secret societies and secret cults, complete with scary descriptions of their hidden and dark rituals. Somehow, this is what this book reminds me of.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:31:56 pm »

I haven't read this book, but I am going to have to. It's for a class, you see. I have heard reviews of it overhyping though.  ::)

In any event, The Family is secretive, so you can't confirm if the person is right or not. Which makes me rather suspicious of the book actually being true. It would be like a conservative board writing about a secretive group of liberals wanting to promote liberalism...and then adding in their trademark conservative bias on top of that.

I remember reading in the Middle Ages about the so-called "exposes" of secret societies and secret cults, complete with scary descriptions of their hidden and dark rituals. Somehow, this is what this book reminds me of.
The problem is that the book is heavily foot noted, references papers by the family themselves which were supposed to remain secret and involves alot of first hand experience by the author who is a respected journalist. As per being unable to confirm, not really. There are plenty of things which have been confirmed and which are actually pretty much public knowledge. Its also a bit misleading to call them christians, since they perfer not to be called christian themselves. They claim that they're just in it for jesus and they're not religious at all, as paradoxical as that sounds.

I encourage you to be suspicious and check his sources but don't simply deny it because it sounds fantastical. Things like the National Prayer Breakfast, The Cedars, Ivanwald, and all the majorly influential and powerful people who seem to frequent them are easily checked, and the Breakfast is even televised. As much as I myself am against the idea of conspiracy theories and the stupidity they usually entail, this book is holding up quite well to my scrutiny.

As per the bias, there's not as much as you'd think actually, the guy seems to remain pretty darn neutral throughout, though his personal views do pop in occasionally just by merit of his word choice. But yeah, in the end, this book isn't really what I was expecting since it completely ignores what most people think of as "Fundamentalist" Christianity and instead focuses on a group of wealthy, influential men who simply use religious symbols and ideas to thinly veil their international business dealings.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »

Wait, what's this book about?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »

Wait, what's this book about?

Looong story short, and I've only thumbed through the book myself but I've watched a few interviews with the author: There's this "organization" called "The Family" (and while the group has been around since at least the 1960s, they're quite proud of the name's modern association with the Mafia), a collection of mostly conservative Republican politicians and political flunkies and adjuncts (there are Democratic members as well, and there were a lot more in the days of the Democratic Solid South), who put very simply believe that people who are wealthy or powerful got that way by divine providence, and are therefor entitled to remain wealthy and powerful, do whatever they have to stay as such, and are largely exempted from the rules of morality or law made for "the little people", whether laws of man or God.

That was a long fucking sentence, but it's "The Family" in a nutshell.  I won't even try to describe everything that they are supposedly accused of, around town and in the book, but there are a few legal proofs that give a pretty good idea of the situation.  Most of the wholly verifiable ones can be found on "The Family"'s wikipedia page.  Read it before they sue or mass delete shit.

The most famous physical edifice of "The Family" is a boarding house in Washington D.C., called the C Street House.  Legally, it's registered as a church, and therefor given all kinds of exemptions on legal observation, gatherings and habitation, and especially property tax.  The whole building, in the capitol's downtown, costs $600 a month in rent.  However, this "church" does not actually have any priests, services, or congregations.  It's basically just a fancy treehouse for a rambling collection of Congressmen (and they're all men) to stay at while in town, and when necessary hide from reporters during a sex scandal.  It's also where they hold most of their group meetings and welcoming parties, and other secret club stuff.

As for what they do, a lot of the attention they get focuses on their wacky brand of self-actualizing Christian-interpretation.  Everyone from King Soloman to Hitler is given a spotlight on what they did right in bending the world to their will, and how the righteous man is entitled to his riches, and a bunch of other crap I'm neither qualified nor eager to elaborate on.

Where it might turn into a "conspiracy" is how so many of the group's big-name members are neck-deep in controversial religious activism organizations, especially in Africa.  Plenty of photos of them shaking hands with Nigerian dictators, tacitly endorsing gay-hunting laws, anti-contraceptive bills, and so forth.  Now, it's perfectly possible that it's just a hospitality club for a bunch of rich Christ-happy politicians, who all happen to independently stick their feet in their mouths and back the wrong horse in inter-national democracy booster unions.  In fact, I happen to believe that's most of what "The Family" is about, a very hammy group of egotists who pat themselves on the back over being awesome, and occasionally fuck up another country's politics by way of wholly coincidental personal activity.

That said, the "church" thing alone is enough to raise legal inquiry, and the documentation on them is definitely a national-league sized track record of shady campaign funding, hush money, back-room deals, and moral dissonance.  I should read the book, and I'm curious to see what all shakes out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »

Yeah, you see the thing that really bothers me the most isn't what they're accused of, because hey, the rich and powerful are always assholes and this is no different, but the ideas they have. The ideas about how the "little man" doesn't even register as human, more as just an ungodly force of chaos and how the rich and powerful have every right to abuse him if they think it's helpful to themselves are quite distressing.

Its a well written book though, the parts about the Seattle Strikes, the government crackdown and the slaughtering of protesters are particularly moving. Its yet another one of those instances were we see that the right to protest and strike only exists as long as it's not actually hurting the status quo.