Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stacking of items  (Read 765 times)

Jeff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stacking of items
« on: November 26, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

I'm sure this is a dumb question and or suggestion, but after searching the dev notes and the forum posts, I can't seem to find an answer. Is stacking or mixing of items planned? Why can't my dwarves consolidate the same food and drink items into one barrel, say up to a certain volume limit? This is particularly bad right now with drinks, where I'll have dozens of barrels with just 5 units of Dwarven Wine each, or 10 units of Syrup per barrel. Not quite as bad with food, but still, why can't I mix up a Plump Helmet [25] in a barrel? Assuming it's not a completely stupid question, that's my suggestion.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stacking of items
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

Mostly because barrels could only hold up to 10 food items total, or 25 units of drink.  You can put "Plump helmet [5]" and "Plump helmet [3]" in the same barrel, but "Plump Helmet [6]" cant go in that barrel because there's only room for two more.  A stack of "Plump Helmet [25]" wont fit in a barrel.

But you're right, they should break up large stacks and stack smaller stacks to form a convenient sized stack.  The biggest complaint regarding stacking is actually with ammo.

EDIT: Dwarves don't take things out of barrels or bins unless the specific item is tasked for a job like eating or processing or called by the trade depot.  I would imagine that it would be hard to consolidate drinks after they've been brewed; Also with real life wineries... YOU NEVER MIX OLD WINE WITH NEW WINE as it would ruin the flavor/vintage, same thing goes with most other alcoholic beverages.

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?