Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Question  (Read 1025 times)

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Modding Question
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:59:35 pm »

So I was working on a special instance of Dwarf Fortress for experimentation with various overcomplicated mechanical constructions.  For this purpose, blatant raw modification was used to turn my dwarfs into industrious, nigh-indestructible [SPEED:0] robots requiring no food, drink, air, sleep, or happiness (turns out the [NOTHOUGHT] tag permanently sets them to "Quite content" at 100 happiness, even though happy/unhappy thoughts will still show up on their profile). 

Now this was working pretty well.  However, I wanted to take it a little bit further by modding them so that they truly resembled miniature steel versions of a bronze colossus.  But when I removed their internal organs, they promptly collapsed to the ground and ceased doing anything useful, complaining of massive injuries.  They're not dying, so I know that the various tags I've given them mean they don't really need said organs, so what gives?  Is this because they "know" they used to have internal organs and now don't?  If so, will regenning the world fix this?  Or is this just hardcoded for playable civilizations (like not being able to path/build through magma or water, another annoying remnant I can't get rid of)?
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:02:52 pm »

Have you added tags such as NOBREATHE/NOBLEED/NOTHOUGHT? If they don't have those tags, they'll still want to have lungs/a heart/a brain even if they don't.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:05:07 pm »

Yep, they have all the [NO*whatever*] tags they need.  Remember, I said they weren't actually dying, or even bleeding - they're just laying there whining, not even unconscious.  Lazy bastards.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »

Sorry, I missed that you implied that you had already added the tags in your post.

The only case that I know of when this sort of thing occurs is, obviously, when the game thinks the creature's missing a bodypart - this usually happens when body tags are in the wrong order, either in the body file or in the creature entry (the common case is adjoining parts being placed before their parent parts), but I really can't see what's gone wrong here. Unless you've removed something which is the parent of something still in there.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:56:54 am »

Did you mess with their internal organs? You might have removed their arms/legs by missing a : in the code. I ended up with blind dragonborn because of that once.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:30 am »

They've still got all their limbs (they show up on the wounds screen just fine).  As a test, I gave them back their organs, and they stopped complaining, so it's definitely the removal that annoys them.  As a further test, I generated a new world with organless dwarfs and embarked in a random location.  Said dwarfs were still incapacitated due to invisible injury (so it's not just the fact that the worldgen "thinks" they should have organs because they did before, or something like that).  This makes me suspect that this behavior is in fact hardcoded, which is mildly annoying.  Oh well.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:16:49 am »

that topic encouraged me to rethink idea of making kitchen devices, finally(just imagine tame, walking refridgerators, ovens etc. in dining room).

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:03:10 pm »

So which body parts do they actually have? It might help to post the code for us to look at.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 03:16:41 pm »

Messing with body parts requires a regen.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 03:58:16 pm »

Messing with body parts requires a regen.

I genned a new world, and it still didn't work (as stated in my last post). 

Their current stats look like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're not quite done, and this is the version that still has internal organs.  Removal of internal organs was done by replacing the BODY string with [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:HUMANOID_JOINTS:5FINGERS:5TOES] (copied from the Bronze Colossus entry), which caused complaints as stated above. 

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 10:49:08 pm »

You need to give them the NOTHOUGHT or NO_THOUGHT, I forget which, token, if you remove the brain.

EDIT: these raws (from my own mods) work fine and basically cover what you're trying to do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:51:01 pm by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:11:48 pm »

Ah, of course.  I swore I'd given them [NOTHOUGHT], but upon inspection, they only have [NOEMOTION].  Thanks for the extra pair of debugging eyes!