Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine in Worldgen?  (Read 2182 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Adamantine in Worldgen?
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:31:27 am »

Will adamantine items ever be created during worldgen or can they ONLY be taken from abandoned fortresses? If so, why does the game start you out with close to the best possible gear (steel), and can it be modded to start you out with bronze or copper or something, and/or for adamantine to show up in worldgen?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine in Worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:50:51 am »

It must be taken from an abandoned fortress as a dwarf (Size issues, narrow, large, small, all that Bulls*it) And I believe adamantine is so rare (To civs, obviously) that they couldn't afford to give it to anyone, especially some ragtag adventurer that probably won't survive a month.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »

It must be taken from an abandoned fortress as a dwarf (Size issues, narrow, large, small, all that Bulls*it) And I believe adamantine is so rare (To civs, obviously) that they couldn't afford to give it to anyone, especially some ragtag adventurer that probably won't survive a month.

The adamantine would make sure said ragtag adventurer would survive.
Besides that; You can remove the [DEEP] tag from Adamantine in the raws if you really want them to use it.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:19:53 pm »

The adamantine would make sure said ragtag adventurer would survive.
Besides that; You can remove the [DEEP] tag from Adamantine in the raws if you really want them to use it.
The adventurer wouldn't be too good with the set of armor if he/she had no skill with it.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:27:36 pm »

Thanks loads guys, just one final question: Can I make it so that when starting an adventurer I am given an Iron weapon, wooden shield and some clothes? Thanks!
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:40:55 pm »

Thanks loads guys, just one final question: Can I make it so that when starting an adventurer I am given an Iron weapon, wooden shield and some clothes? Thanks!
You MIGHT be able to modify the raws to get that.

But I think the level of stuff you get (minus treehugging hippies) is based on how advanced your faction is.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:08:20 pm »

Entity_default.txt defines what your civ uses mostly.

Dwarves have [METAL_PREF], so they have the best, non-[DEEP] metal as their basic weapons and armour.
Elves have [WOOD_PREF], so they use a random wood as their basic weapons and armour.
Humans lack both of these, so they use a metal that is either the same as Iron, or if there is no iron, something worse. Goblins are like this too.
Kobolds have [MINOR_METAL], which forces them to use copper, or the worst metal the game can find.

If you want a civ that uses adamantine, remove [DEEP] from the adamantine file. Apart from that, I don't think I know a way that you can have mixed levels of armour (wooden shield, metal chain, etc.)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 04:15:18 pm »

Yeah, unless you hide a steel sword within the Kokiri Village just for you to find after traversing spears Traps set on repeat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:31:22 pm »

Humans lack both of these, so they use a metal that is either the same as Iron, or if there is no iron, something worse. Goblins are like this too.

Actually, the lack of a metal pref means they will pick whatever metal is closest to 100%, without exceeding it.  In vanilla, that's iron.  If you mod it to be crazy so that steel is 101%, copper is 99%, and bronze and iron are both 80%, then humans and gobs will use copper.

Also, on a related tangent, MINOR_METAL will cause a race to use the cheapest available metal, not the worst.  If you make iron 100% and also cheaper than copper, humies, gobbos, and kobolds will use it.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 12:37:16 pm »

There is only one thing in which Adamantine shows during worldgen:

"body of Something was impaled on Adamantine spear by Someone" and so on (even with that, it's rare).

And no, you can get them. All those 'grotesque pillars' and 'bodies hanging from trees' are just in legends mode.

What a pity.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 05:07:16 pm »

I found the spear one of my adventurer was impaled on once.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 01:08:28 am »

I found the spear one of my adventurer was impaled on once.

I'm fairly confident anytime you die in a Dark Fortress, they impale your body up at the top. So in theory, its pretty easy to find the spear your dude was impaled on. Or did you mean a specific spear that killed you in battle? Cuz I dont even know how you'd track that down. Mad detective work or something, I guess.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 10:36:51 am »

The spears are always the same type as spears used in upright spike/spear traps, though, so you can't take them.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:32:41 pm »

Will adamantine items ever be created during worldgen or can they ONLY be taken from abandoned fortresses? If so, why does the game start you out with close to the best possible gear (steel), and can it be modded to start you out with bronze or copper or something, and/or for adamantine to show up in worldgen?

Quite frequently you can get significantly better weaponry and shields in a human town. Exceptional iron is far better than Adequate Steel. If you're feeling crazy, you can even PAY for it.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »

If you really want human armor, you can play Dwarf Fortress mode, build up a trading empire, and keep asking the humans for armor, and then decorate, etc the steel stuff they bring.