Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stoneware and porcelain  (Read 1710 times)

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stoneware and porcelain
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

Clay. It's fairly useless right now, but it shouldn't be. The same goes for the kiln - as far as I know it's only used for making pearlash right now. What if you could use clay to create ceramic goods in in kiln? For example bricks(commonly used in housing throughout history), pipes, statues, crafts, even bowls and plates for eating. They would be automatically assigned to a table and would boost the happy thought received from eating slightly. Hell, you could even add cutlery - silver spoons anyone?

Clay would be collected kind of like how sand is right now, probably in buckets. The advantage of clay would be that you don't need to make a "raw" intermediary product - the dwarf simply needs to form the item and fire it up in the kiln.

The basic product would be stoneware. Simple and functional, it would only require clay. Its base value would be low and its main use would be for building items like bricks and pipes.

Porcelain is to stoneware as clear glass is to green glass. It would require materials such as kaolinite, quartz, bone or other ingredients in addition to clay(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain#Materials).  It would obviously have a higher value and could possibly also be painted with dyes to add additional value.

The production process could either use existing skills(glassmaking, stonecrafting?) or perhaps a new one(potter, clayworker?). Up to Toady, of course.

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Doniazade ]

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stoneware and porcelain
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:00 am »

And maybe, depending on your potters skill, it would add decorations to whatever you've made when its made. You wouldn't be able to add additional decorations, however.

Also, clay barrels (can't think what you'd call them) and bins (also stuck to think of name... currently too tired  :p ) would be very useful.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

Sounds good. I can't wait to start exporting Dwarf Ming Vases  ;)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Bricktop:
<STRONG>Also, clay barrels (can't think what you'd call them)</STRONG>

Ah, amphorae perhaps? Common in ancient Greece for storing food like grain and olive oil.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

You can always paint a vase afterwards. This is a superb suggestion.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

I'd also like to see clay decorations, such as vases or whatever, that nobles will require from time to time.

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

Vases? May be flower pots? Doesn't seems to be "dwarfy" enough.
Big "amphorae" with wine would be acceptable. Even pots would be ok as long as have fungus in it.  But porcelain is too much. It just a mockery. There are so much beautiful stone around, why one should pay attention to make a fake and fragile one?
If you so want to paint something, just paint the walls like cave men. It's already possible (by blood and... hmm... vomit).

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: dwarfed one ]

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

I'm pretty sure this is already in the reqs/bloats.  All the same, it'll be a good thing when it comes.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Dwarfchik 9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Most Traders aren't willing to pay top dollar for an exceptional piece of handmade pottery.  As a ceramist, I know.  But, just like in real life - people shell out shekels for anything glass.
Personally, I'd rather Toady beef up the processING before adding any new processES.  I'm down to a mind-boggling 14 FPS at the moment, and I can't even think about Adventure Mode.
Ceramics are too dang hippie for dwarves.  <P>Next thing you know, they''ll throwing endless Cave Phish jam sessions.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

You pick up the Round Pot. You put it in your Carp Leather Backpack.
You throw the Round Pot at the Guard!
The Human Guard's head is smashed, an unrecognizable mass!
The Human Guard has been struck down!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

I think it would be a nice addition, also you don't need a glassmaker/stonecrafter, I think this will help to boost the usefulness of potashmakers - just make the skill called "kilnworking" which will rule all these professions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarfchik 9000:
<STRONG>Personally, I'd rather Toady beef up the processING before adding any new processES.  I'm down to a mind-boggling 14 FPS at the moment, and I can't even think about Adventure Mode.</STRONG>

Well yeah, but a suggestion forum filled with nothing but optimization requests would be incredibly boring.