Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outside fortifications?  (Read 923 times)

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outside fortifications?
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:44:00 am »

First of all, I'd like to say hello. I have been reading through these forums for about a week, and I must say that this is one of a thriving community   :D

English isn't my native language, so please exuse me some spelling/grammar mistakes.

But, enough of the pleasantries   :D), I thought it would be nice to erect some wall, towers, gates and outside barracks. It would keep away sneaking goblins, and would provide a decent defense against those mad zombie elephants. Not to mentions, that it would be cool to setup maybe a dozen balistas, and arrange some shooting contest using those ubiquitous dogs and horses (what, oh why DF don't have some kind of stables?).

Opinions?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Outside fortifications?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:48:00 pm »

I've considered suggesting the same thing, but the important point to note is that most dwarves hate the outside world -- thus, all of your buildings should pretty much all be carved into the mountainside.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:56:00 am »

While they hate the outside, some blasted dwarves still insist on going out for a breath of fresh air for some reason (maybe they go out to poop?), especially when I'm under siege by goblins or some such. You'd think there'd be strong evolutionary pressure against this sort of behaviour, but it keeps happening.

Back on topic, I had a passing thought that it'd be cool if you could build "towers" outside the cliff face and link them back to the cliff with subterranean tunnels, but that would introduce a two-layer map (so that critters could be walking on grass and in the tunnel underneath it and not get confused about where they are), which is most likely nontrivial to do.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »

Actually...  you can sort of wall things off already.  Just use shops.  I forget which ones, but I'm fairly sure there's one with each side walled off.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »

Use cave-ins for fun and profit.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 10:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gronut:
<STRONG>
(...)
Back on topic, I had a passing thought that it'd be cool if you could build "towers" outside the cliff face and link them back to the cliff with subterranean tunnels, but that would introduce a two-layer map (so that critters could be walking on grass and in the tunnel underneath it and not get confused about where they are), which is most likely nontrivial to do.</STRONG>

Well, If I understood well, everything is ready to do that (pathfinding, Z coordinate...). The question is : Do we (or Toady) want to have this in Dwarf mode ?

Pfeww. So much to do for Toady ! So many expectations from us....