Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pick-up bug  (Read 621 times)

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pick-up bug
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:49 am »

Hi, all.  I have a nasty buggy game. Upon searching the forums, I've seen roughly this bug described before, but it's always related to artifact weapons, or military issues, or somesuch. Mine is more severe, and makes the game almost unplayable.

I'm playing (i) Relentless Assault on (ii) DF version d19 (I *just* downloaded *both* of these, and so it may be related to this).

Dwarves who try to pick up weapons will walk up to the weapon, pick it up, drop it, walk away two or three steps, go back, and start over.

The thing is, this applies to non-artifact weapons, and has no relationship to the military, as previous bugs were. That is, my miners, if they drop their pick for some reason, can no longer pick it up, since it's a weapon. They aren't drafted, have mining enabled, were recently mining, but now a pick is sitting there, and they get stuck in an infinite loop, until they go on break or get hungry or thirsty or whatever.

The military does the same thing--I have ten spears on my map, and I watched a single speardwarf try to pick up one for five minutes until I forbade it, then go to the next one and try for five minutes until I forbade *that* one, and then all along to all the spears on the map.

Needless to say, there's not a lot of mining, and definitely a lot of wrestling, going on on my map. I've tried dumping into a quantum dump, then unforbidding, and many other things. The bug doesn't happen to armor. It *does* apply to brand new weapons, fresh from the forge. This doesn't seem to apply to crossbows. It applies to weapons both on the ground and in weapons stockpiles.

Is there a trick someone's found to get out of this? Or is my map/version/mod combo just doomed because of the bug?

selbram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: pick-up bug
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:03:29 am »

Go to their soldier preferences and make is so they carry two weapons.

Or from the military screen press "w" and then on the right where you see all the "1" make those "2" and your dorfs should pick up all the various tools and weapons they are dancing around.

For me this seems pretty common in any df mod I have played.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:04:31 am »

If you look at the weapons the chances are that they require 2 hands to use (which is buggy at this time) but if you tell those dwarves to carry 2 weapons it should clear the problem up.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:24:37 am »

Wow -- worked like a charm.  Thanks so much, guys!

It wasn't a problem with Dig Deeper, for whatever very odd reason, but with Relentless Assault it is.  I'd never seen it before, and was very puzzled, and was about to abandon the fort as cursed.

Thanks again!