Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mining skill and stone creation  (Read 1601 times)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mining skill and stone creation
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

As things stand, a greater mining skill produces MORE stone when mining. Thus, unskilled miners are great at digging out big areas without piling up debris, but bad at mining out gems.

I would like to see a good miner be able to get all the gems, but REDUCE the number of stones created when digging out non-economic rocks (like chert...if I ever have another fort with poo-brown furniture, I'll go nuts!).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mining skill and stone creation
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

but all stone is good.  If it functioned that way I would have to constantly recruit new miners or risk running out of stone.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

Add two new digging options, Excavate and Extract. With Extract, you try to get every last bit of mineral out, with Excavate you try to minimize left over stones.

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:46:00 am »

That would sadly kill some of the realism in that; alright, you've dug a pit, but all that dirt and earth had to go somewhere.

Technically I suppose unskilled miners would have to produce useless rock piles or dirt as opposed to usuable stone...

Reality aside though, excavate / extract sure would be handy.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:53:00 am »

Gameplays usually trumps realism, doesn't it?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 03:35:00 am »

i dont mind so much having a huge outdoor stockpile of rocks
i train stone crafters to junk all that stuff on trade anyway

heres an idea for your stone problem

build a gigantic outdoor house!

i built a 5x7 walled wooden house
with  3x5 indoor flooring
3 stories
out of wood!

im sure it would be possible to make some elaborate structure with all of your "useless" stone

but on the whole i agree that a legendary miner having a 95% chance of getting stone (meaning 95 out of 100 tiles produces stone) is really absurd

as it is i have over 5000 rocks laying around and not enough masons to use it all up quickly enough

dont just behead, i behemoth!

Tyrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 05:38:00 am »

In Status/Stone you can designate different stone types as economic or not.  If this were expanded to include all the non-economic stone types you could more generally designate stones as useful or not.  Then high mining skill would leave more useful rocks and fewer useless rocks.  You could flip back and forth depending on your need for things like magnetite and olivine.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

I guess the best solution to that is make mining produce small stones, and adding multihauling so that the stones can be gotten out of the mines quicker. Small stones are just as useful for blocks, and a mason trying to make a table out of solid rock can just as well go take a pick and carve it out himself. That's realism.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fire Tempest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 08:46:00 am »

Well if you could just stack stone, a lot of problems would be solved. Like instead of barrels, it would be little wagons, maybe 2-3 wood to build.
urrounding yourself with dwarfs does not make you a giant.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Tempest:
<STRONG>Well if you could just stack stone, a lot of problems would be solved. Like instead of barrels, it would be little wagons, maybe 2-3 wood to build.</STRONG>
You can.  I habitually set up 1x1 refuse areas and then mark rocks to dump there.  When I want to dump somewhere else I deactivate the original dump site.  Infinite leftover rocks can go in a tiny space outside ... and infinite ore-bearing rocks can be dumped near a smelter.

I was *ecstatic* when I saw this feature!   :D  :D

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 09:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>You can.  I habitually set up 1x1 refuse areas and then mark rocks to dump there.  When I want to dump somewhere else I deactivate the original dump site.  Infinite leftover rocks can go in a tiny space outside ... and infinite ore-bearing rocks can be dumped near a smelter.

I was *ecstatic* when I saw this feature!    :D   :D</STRONG>

But that requires marking the stones for dumping, which, without a dumping designation, takes FOREVER to click through with [k][d].

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>

But that requires marking the stones for dumping, which, without a dumping designation, takes FOREVER to click through with [k][d].</STRONG>

Check out

DF utilities - autohotkey and the dump from stockpiles screen macro at http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User:Jackard.  Once you get started with macros, things become so much easier!

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.