Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My homebrew RPG  (Read 1881 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
My homebrew RPG
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:59:18 pm »

For about six or seven months, I've been tossing around the idea of a homebrew RPG set in a post-apocalyptic setting, primarily using d6s. For some reason, Word won't let me copy and paste everything I wrote over this time into a spoiler tag here, so I megaupload'd the document, here.

It moves slowly, but I have a fairly functional combat system, and was wondering if anybody would like to help develop this (completely as a hobby, don't be all ambitious, please), or play a forum game of it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: My homebrew RPG
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:26:19 am »

It looks good, if you want to try it, i'd play.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »

Your game will focus on certain activities, and those will take up most of the time. It looks like a lot of this game could be combat and exploration. You want to minimize how many rolls and how often the player looks at the character sheet during these activities.

Stats
Please name Stamina as Endurance, and name Social as Charisma. I know it's cliche, but there's a reason.

STR, AGI, END, INT, CHA, PER
STR, AGI, STA, INT, SOC, PER

The second one has an awful lot of S-abbreviations. And you can actually abbreviate to one letter if all your stats start with different ones.

Initiative
I'd suggest for Initiative, a straight d6 + Agil. Ties go around the table starting with the person to the left of the referee. Yes, that means if the referee ties with a player, the player always goes first.

Or, d6+Agil but ties happen simultaneously. That means two people could attack each other and both hit, killing each other at the same time. Or someone could start a train and begin to move away on it, and the other boards the train at the same time.

Attack Roll
Using Agil for the target number for attacks looks good. But it does make Agil pretty important. I'd suggest making Initiative based off Intelligence instead, to help prevent it becoming a dump stat. Of course, Initiative isn't that important because everyone gets to go once each anyway.

STR for melee and PER for ranged are good choices.

Dodge/Block
The dodge/block rules are complex, requires a back-and-forth between the attacker and defender, and aren't that useful in a fight with multiple opponents. I'd suggest simply a "stance" rule where you can fight with an offensive or defensive or middle stance in any round. On your turn you decide, and the modifiers apply until you change your stance on your next turn.

Offensive: apply your entire Agil to attack rolls. No running.
Defensive: target number to hit you is 3x agil (instead of 2.5x). If you have a weapon you gain 0.5x and a shield gains you 0.5x. No running.
Middle: Run becomes possible (Run should be 5x walk move).

I suggest against making different dodge/block rules for ranged attacks. Yeah I know people have a harder time dodging bullets. But this is a place where making a concession to gameplay at the cost of realism is okay.

Cover works okay, I'd suggest that cover is +1 (1/3), +3 (1/3) or +4 (3/4) without the returning-fire cover reduction. You just can't return fire with 100% cover unless you have a little firing port or something. Make a note that cover applies against ranged and melee, but that sometimes a melee attacker can move around the cover.

Critical Hits
Rolling a critical hit determination check is clunky, but neccessary if you're on 1d6. You just don't want crits to come in every 6 attacks. The chance of a crit with your rules is 1 in 36, which works okay.

Beware using 2d6 for your critical hit table. Two dice gives you a mountain-shaped graph of probabilities, and three gives you a bell curve. Simply put, the middle numbers will come up a heck of a lot more often. You're better off using a single larger die, or else put the more common criticals in the middle. If you're careful, you can assign a larger number range to the low and high rolls, making the probabilities even. Something like:

Roll       Critical Hit
2-4        Hand
5-6        Arm
7          Head
8          Leg
9-10       Knee
11-12      Eye

But even that is going to be kind of off. And I couldn't fit Neck on there. 1d8 with 8 = Attacker Choice would be lovely.

Movement
No movement section? Humans walk about 2.2 MPH, but since you're using metric you'll need to convert. 6-second combat rounds work well if you have firearms and melee, but you might want to give Semi-Auto guns two attacks per round. Base your human movement on that 19.36 feet per 6 seconds walk speed.

Jog / run should be a LOT faster. Just hustling a bit should give you double. x3 for jog and x5 for run would be okay for fighting rules. You don't want people scurrying all the way across the map in 6 seconds.

Called Shots
Unless you're absolutely married to this idea, I'd advise against it. Players quickly figure out the optimal selection, usually it'll end up being hits to the head or (if nerfed) to the hands. It also slows down the game like crazy because you have to add up the situational modifiers, check for armor location, check for special effects, in addition to the normal combat procedure.
A combat system without called shots assumes that the attacker chooses the best possible target. We assume people are hitting each other in the head. This is why helmets are so important.
I'd suggest putting your Called Shots results in your Critical Hits table instead.

The "head struck - dazed" effect is going to be difficult to handle in a game. Not only is it a modifier to a stat that is used dozens of times per combat round, the penalty changes every round, and there is a check to resist it that involves quick subtractive math. Every single one of these things will slow the thing down. I suggest instead:

"Head Struck. Roll a Stamina Check. If you fail, you are dazed for 1d6 rounds. Being dazed gives you -1 to all your rolls. If you are dazed again before it ends, you fall unconscious for 2d6 rounds instead."

And drop the "double damage, quadruple from firearms". Dazing is a big enough bonus for the meager headshot attack penalty, and there is absolutely no reason to give a different damage multiplier for firearms in any case. They get higher base damage, so their multiplied damage will also be higher. Also drop the called shot penalties with larger weapons, I'm not sure that makes any sense and it clogs things up.

The same thing goes with the individual attack location effects. If you really want those, drop them on the Critical Hit table.

Stamina Roll? (Pg5)
You mention a Stamina Roll but don't explain what that is. I assume it's a roll of 1d6, trying to get under your Stamina stat. Right?

Damage
I like the defender choosing to use up Stamina to soak damage. I'd suggest that this Stamina damage cannot be healed normally and you need a doctor, tech, or magic to do it. That makes it a meaningful choice - otherwise you would always burn Stamina when you needed to. I'd leave off using Agil or Strength, but I could see why you would want to. But leave those at the same 3:1 ratio just for ease of use.

Dying
On one hand, players don't want to die all the time. On the other, they don't want to sit there rolling to see how long it takes them to die.

I'd suggest the following:

"Once you fall to zero or below Life Pool, you fall unconscious. Non-Lethal damage (blunt, unarmed, some poisons, etc) can't kill you, but Lethal damage can. If some of your damage was Non-Lethal, you just fall unconscious. But if it was all Lethal, you begin dying.

When dying, every 10 minutes, you take a point of Lethal damage. If you are revived by a doctor, even if he doesn't heal your damage, you will stop dying. If you are hit for more damage after reviving, you fall unconscious again immediately and might begin dying again.

If your Life Pool ever falls to the negative of your maximum (-5 for Humans, because they have 5 Life to start with) you immediately die.

Non-Lethal attacks cause Lethal damage to unconscious people.

Professions
I'd take off the Crafting bonus from Architect. Architects don't always actually build things.
Psychiatrists probably shouldn't get the same Medical bonus that Paramedics and Doctors get ... maybe +1 Persuasion and +1 Academics instead?
Student should probably get +1 Academics and +1 Salvage instead of +2 Salvage.
Farmer should get +2 Agriculture instead of +2 Crafting.

General Editing Notes
Go over your text carefully and make sure you're using the same structure choices. So if you do present tense, third person, active voice, etc. make sure you don't deviate. I find that referring to the reader as "you" and using the active voice really cuts down the word count and makes things read clearly.

Also, specifically state what they can do and assume that unless it says they can do it, they can't, and it's a referee call. For example, when speaking of damage, you could simply say:

"You can sacrifice points from your Strength, Agility, and Stamina to avoid damage, soaking up 3 damage per statistic point."

You don't need to mention that you can't use Perception, Intelligence, or Social for this. It's clear that you can't, for the same reason it's clear you can't burn skill points to do the same thing.

EDIT: My dying rule suggestion has an unintended consequence. You smack yourself in the face to take 1 point of Non-Lethal, which means you can jump off a cliff and you won't die - you'll just fall unconscious. I wanted to include something to the effect of "If your lethal damage alone is enough to put you at 0, you begin dying) but it sounded clunky.

So that would need work.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:21:28 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »

Good stuff, Leo! Thanks for the constructive criticism and suggestions!

When I say [attribute] Roll, I'm referring to rolling a 1d6 and adding the attribute score. In the case of Stamina rolls to stay concious, this means that you want to roll a 1d6 + your Stamina (so if you roll a 4 and have 2 stamina, you get a 6), and try to get OVER the amount of damage already done to you.

I haven't done any movement yet simply because I haven't gotten to it. A lot of the tests I've run have been short melee brawls, so I've fleshed this out a lot more on that end.

I agree with you on Agility being an overpowered stat. When I first started this, agility was so powerful that anybody with an Agility stat of 5 would win every fight. In fact, it might still be like that, since you need an 11 to hit them. This is part of the reason why I made natural 6's automatic hits. I like the idea of making Initiative based on Intelligence, though. Also, I very much like the idea of simultaneous ties. What do you think of rerolling for initiative every round? I've seen systems like this before, but I'm worried about bogging things down.

I also agree about Dodge/Block being too complex. On the one hand, this actually works well in practice in one on one fights, but on the other hand, there is so much number crunching in fights with three or more participants that it gets out of hand. I like the stance idea, though it would be difficult to balance. As is, Mulberry (the example character on the first page) would be rolling 1d6+3 all the time (against opponents who are hit with a 5 or 6, meaning 2 or 3s always hit), without a penalty to defense. I feel there really ought to be a trade off that the player must decide on.

I dislike the "dazed" status as it stands right now. I discovered that with a well-placed critical strike to the head, the target can stay conscious, but still end up with a -18 Agility score. Also, it means it requires a -45 to hit them now, which means you can just cripple their eyes and limbs. I might do away with this altogether.

I like your idea of choosing a specific part of the body for critical hits. I was kind of hoping for a system wherein critical hits would cause certain status ailments to the victim, such as causing them to take damage from bleeding, or crippling their stats by breaking their bones. I will probably use your idea, however, because I actually can't think of that many ailments anyway (also, if somebody critically strikes an eye, how do you break the bone?). I wanted to apply physical scars to characters when they got critical strikes, as well, so I might work the table to include the torso.

The life pool system is pulled from World of Darkness. I like it for this system because I'm going for shorter battles with a higher mortality rate. I see where you're coming from about the idea of abilities needing a doctor to heal. I disagree that it should require a doctor, but I think I will increase the time it takes to heal them. The idea behind this feature is to have characters be badly beaten, their abilities hampered, but still trying to fight their way through the situation. All action movie-ish.

I'm definitely going for a combat and exploration-style system. I'm drawing heavily on Mad Max and Fallout for influences here. Later on, once I have this ironed out, I want to try to create a system for building post-apocalyptic towns, scavenging for supplies, and (most difficult of all) some sort of system for vehicle combat. It has to be something that integrates well with the system itself, since they're always jumping between vehicles in these movies.

Eagle V: Yeah, if you want to do a test game, I could run one on the forum. Be prepared for the rules to change at random intervals throughout, however.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:46 am »

I'd be intrested in helping, I've never developed and rpg before but I reckon I could be a big help. If you need me just ask.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:30:00 am »

I would be interested in helping out. I'll crack the document open later.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:19:37 pm »

Feel free to follow Leo's example and post your suggestions, criticisms, and comments in the thread. :)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:54:59 pm »

I would greatly appreciate it if you would like to submit this system to my new forum, the link of which can be found in my sig.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:28:21 am »

Initiative

In my D&Dish game, we do Init on a 1d6 roll, counting from high down to low. It actually adds a bit of tension at certain points, because me rolling a 1 of a 6 may be the difference between them winning or losing, or being able to flee. I'd suggest a reroll every round rather than the "roll once and then circular" d20 style. In d20 the only round where the initiative roll matters is the first one.

I could also suggest that if someone gets an Init over 10, they get to go really early, and then a whole second time later 10 Init down the line.

Example: Abe and Ben and Cindy roll 1d6 + Agil for initiative. Abe has +2, Ben has +4, Cindy has +6.

Abe rolls a total of 6, Ben rolls 5, and Cindy rolls 11.

On 11, Cindy goes. Her Init then resets to 1. On 6, Abe goes. On 5 Ben goes. and then on 1 Cindy goes again. Then they reroll.

This gives a "critical success" benefit for extremely high Agil coupled with a very high roll.

Stances
The trade-off is that he could be using the better defensiveness of the Defense stance. And that if he wants to run, he has to take the middle stance and get neither bonus.

Vehicles
You're probably best off just refereeing the vehicular rules as opposed rolls. For example, let's say Abe is driving his Spiked Go-Cart and Ben tries to jump down onto it.

Abe rolls 1d6 + Agil + Driving (he is trying to swerve out of the way)
Ben rolls 1d6 + Agil + Athletics (he is jumping on)

This way each of them gets to apply one stat and one skill (whether they have good stats and skills is a moot point). Whoever gets the higher roll wins, and he gets to do what he wanted.

Say there's a high-speed chase through an oil refinery compound. Abe is trying to escape the maniacal Ben. Abe has a vehicle with Agility +1, Ben has one with Agility +0. Both are rated as "medium" speed vehicles, so they keep up with each other. Now, we have:

Abe rolls 1d6 + Agil + Driving +1 (his car is agile +1)
Ben rolls 1d6 + Agil + Driving (his car has no agility bonus)

If Abe had a "fast" rated vehicle, he would simply outpace Ben and escape without rolling.

This way your vehicles are just creatures with stats, and each has a general speed class.

If you want to get complicated about it, with detailed speed and fuel consumption and internal spaces and weight allowed on the chassis and acceleration / deceleration and crashes and hazards and blah blah it gets too complicated.

For a good vehicular wargame, see Car Wars. But if you don't want to play a vehicular wargame, try to figure out the most you can abstract it and still feel good about it.

You should be able to play the game quickly and smoothly with one knowledgeable referee and eight newbie players. If things get snagged and bunched up around a rule, it's an indication the rule could use some work.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic