Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort of Legendary Comedians  (Read 1593 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort of Legendary Comedians
« on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:14 pm »

Well, what do you think?

/Edit:

Here are some reads from Dwarf Therapist:
I never had anything like this before. How am I to find my truly legendary dwaves ingame?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:59:29 am by Spectre »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Comments Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

She dies your fort goes with her. Draft her.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:34:30 pm »

I've got 22 more of this sort. But they are just Grand Masters of all trades or, if they were more usefull, just Masters.
She's the only legendary one.
I found her, while I scrolled through my unitlist in search for my legendary stonecrafter child (fey mood), to check if he was allready old enough to carve those obsidian short swords (he isnt).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:46:06 pm by Spectre »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:35:28 pm »

Whats with te puppy in the one tile room?

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:38:43 pm »

Did you just fuck about with dwarf companion?

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »

Nope. I just lost interest and let my three miners smooth out the hole fortress. guess she was allways a bit underchallenged.
The puppy in the room is part of my (not working) device to drop wood multiple z-levels right into my stockpile.
The puppy is there in case some dwarf decides to stay in the wrong place too long. It should all be automated with pressurplates and hatches and stuff, but the pressurplates open the door to my one tile woodpile (too let them walk in the room with the hatch) for a few seconds, instead of closing it.
Have not figured out, how to reverse that, yet.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:37 pm »

A simple lever should do, shouldn't it?

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 07:59:08 pm »

Nope. I just lost interest and let my three miners smooth out the hole fortress. guess she was allways a bit underchallenged.
The puppy in the room is part of my (not working) device to drop wood multiple z-levels right into my stockpile.
The puppy is there in case some dwarf decides to stay in the wrong place too long. It should all be automated with pressurplates and hatches and stuff, but the pressurplates open the door to my one tile woodpile (too let them walk in the room with the hatch) for a few seconds, instead of closing it.
So you want the door open most of the time, but closed when a dwarf steps on the pressure plate.
You could make something like the following somewhere:
Code: [Select]
#######
#~#^D_#
#  ####
####
where # is a wall, ~ is an infinite water source from above, ^ is a pressure plate set to 0-6 water connected to the stockpile door, _ is a channel leading to a drain, and D is a door connected to the pressure plate.
When a dwarf walks up to the door it will let some of the water drain, turning off the pressure plate and closing the door. When the dwarf walks away the water will build up again, turning on the pressure plate and opening the door.
Note that this would add between about 100 and 300 steps delay.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:23:12 am »

i fooled around with something like this, but its no good. A door closed by a mechanism needs some ticks before it actually is closed. in that time, the dwarfes could reach the stockpile and get traped. If I delay the dwarfes enough to rule out that possibility, than the door reopens to soon and they reach the stockpile non the less.
I think I have to build some kind of one way triggered mechanism, that holds the door closed, till the dwarf steps on another pressure plate on his way out. Good thing I have a river on my map.

/Edit: I posted the stats of all my dwaves in the first post. It's without words.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:45:42 am by Spectre »

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 07:03:39 pm »

i fooled around with something like this, but its no good. A door closed by a mechanism needs some ticks before it actually is closed.
No. That only applies to floodgates and bridges.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:47:49 am »

Are you implying, I dont know what I saw?

/Edit: I just discovered that carp can swim through fortifications.
Lucky for the fischerdwarf, he is competent in most social skills and thus tough enough to battle a carp underwater for ~20 seconds, gain dabling wrestler and swimmerskills, kill the carp and get on dry land.
He got some nasty wrestling injuries though.
Spoiler: pics (click to show/hide)

/Edit: I recently lost some dwarfes to carp and now my clother went melancoly. This seems to go sour.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:56:19 pm by Spectre »

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:00:22 am »

/Edit: I recently lost some dwarfes to carp and now my clother went melancoly. This seems to go sour. fun.

Fixed that for you.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort of Legendary Comedians
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:55:19 am »

Well, thank you. I feel awkward now  ;)