Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphic Issues with Tilesets (e.g. 40d9 with the mike mayday tileset)  (Read 1888 times)

otwaga

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi,

everytime I try to use some tilesets I get problems with the game.
There is no sound, if I switch to Fullscreen the Screen resolution stays 640 so that the game screen is about a quarter of my computerscreen while the rest stays black. Also I have this...

Itīs a screenshot from my 40d9 with the mike mayday tileset version. I have no fucking idea what "40d9" means. I just downloaded this version because the videotutorial guy recommended it.

There are also letters replaced with some weird-ass symbols.
So what do I have to do? I just want to play the damn game with some tilesets because ASCII-graphics are just too hardcore, even for me.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic Issues with Tilesets (e.g. 40d9 with the mike mayday tileset)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:47:26 pm »

First of all, try to be nice, especially with cuss words.

the dots are replacements for '.', ' ' ', ' " ', and ',', because the ground tiles use those, the weird symbols were replaced for added sprites, and they, in the default game, are included with names, they are accented characters, and to prevent them from being used, read THIS page, but they are likely already used by your dwarves if you loaded it from a pre-accent removed/tileset game, so, renaming time!

the 40d9 is the 9th SDL version of dwarf fortress 40d, and it is either faster or slower than normal 40d, they sometimes have added features like macros, yours is outdated by 10 versions, so it is not supported for any bugs you have, I warn you not to use the newest d19-17 as there have been plenty of bad posts, and there will be no new versions until the new dwarf fortress version, and try not to get too attached to your fortresses, because they will be incompatible with the new version. :)

Edit; read again. ::)

Edit edit; the screen problem sounds like an INIT problem, any specifics you need me to answer just say so.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:57:35 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

otwaga

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »

First of all, try to be nice, especially with cuss words.

the dots are replacements for '.', ' ' ', ' " ', and ',', because the ground tiles use those, the weird symbols were replaced for added sprites, and they, in the default game, are included with names, they are accented characters, and to prevent them from being used, read THIS page, but they are likely already used by your dwarves if you loaded it from a pre-accent removed/tileset game, so, renaming time!

the 40d9 is the 9th SDL version of dwarf fortress 40d, and it is either faster or slower than normal 40d, they sometimes have added features like macros, yours is outdated by 10 versions, so it is not supported for any bugs you have, I warn you not to use the newest d19-17 as there have been plenty of bad posts, and there will be no new versions until the new dwarf fortress version, and try not to get too attached to your fortresses, because they will be incompatible with the new version. :)

Edit; read again. ::)

Ah, I understand, thanks so far. Also I AM nice. itīs not like I insulted someone. Cussing is cool, all the cool kids are doing it, Iīm just trying to be cool. Whatever...
Why is not only the game so complicated but also the installation?
Canīt you just recommend me a version which runs, looks decent and has music? I donīt want to spend hours to get "into the scene" before I even build my first fortress.
What about this tilesetthingie from the Wiki front page?

It looks pretty good.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:10:02 pm »

the 40d9 is the 9th SDL version of dwarf fortress 40d, and it is either faster or slower than normal 40d
And sometimes it's even the same speed.  ;D

What about this tilesetthingie from the Wiki front page?
There's a list of tilesets in the wiki : http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository
Not sure if the one you're looking for is in there.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:12:28 pm »

Well, I can't really recommend a version since I only use d16 right now, it works fine though.

and it can get complicated sometimes, but that can be a good thing, I would recommend ranting rodent's tileset, even the old version I use (I don't really like 3D walls) works great, but like me you might want a less flashy tileset after a while.

Edit; where are my manners, welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:23:02 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

otwaga

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:33:46 pm »

Well, I can't really recommend a version since I only use d16 right now, it works fine though.

and it can get complicated sometimes, but that can be a good thing, I would recommend ranting rodent's tileset, even the old version I use (I don't really like 3D walls) works great, but like me you might want a less flashy tileset after a while.

Edit; where are my manners, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation. This tileset looks great. Just one last question.
Every time I try to run it fullscreen I get the message:
Mode switch failed
Running in Windowed Mode

How can i fix this? Change the init.txt?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 03:49:25 pm »

I don't know, it sounds like a window problem, near the INIT top is '[WINDOWED:*insert setting here*]', set it to NO for a full screen game or YES for a windowed game, or PROMPT for a prompt on start instead.