Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Magma casting glitch  (Read 798 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
[40d16] Magma casting glitch
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:37:41 pm »

Two pictures should be enough:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, in a nutshell the magma casting sometimes fails and leaves those holes with 7/7 magma instead of obsidian. Here's some stuff that I observed:

1: only happens on the nearest tiles of the magma output

2: only happens when the magma is pressurized* by the pumps behind it, if I let it just seep from that 2x1 spot into the water without pressure it will cast normally

3:  still happens with 7/7 water on the floor below

4: temperature was off in that init since I was testing a magma casting approach, so my pumps are wooden.

5: As displayed the tile is mostly intact, no crazy stuff like those ice cave-ins.

Anyway, I have the save for this fort if needed. it reliably produces those errors. While they aren't very annoyning, (and has an easy workaround) they are annoyning nevertheless.

*pressurized isn't the proper term, but I think it might have to do with the speed that magma is flowing. When the pumps behind it are at full steam it might flow too fast and cause the error.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:39:42 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Magma casting glitch
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:03:39 am »

Add the water on top of the magma, instead of vice versa.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Magma casting glitch
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:37:32 am »

That is quite odd.  Maybe the water moves into other tiles while trying to level, and somehow manages to clear off one tile before it finishes.  I.E., there would be two tiles left, and two units of water.  Then, both might move together and leave one tile empty.  This is based on me assuming magma and water might try to level out in the microsecond before obsidian forms.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.