Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buffing up Megabeasts.  (Read 972 times)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
Buffing up Megabeasts.
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:02:40 pm »

So, what should I change to the RAWs to make Megabeasts and Semi-Megabeasts stronger?

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Buffing up Megabeasts.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:40:13 pm »

I like to give them [NOFEAR] so they never retreat [NOSTUN] so they don't stop fighting [NOEXERT] so they never get tired and then I also double their size, damblock and damage outputs.

For starters. ;D

That will make them give you quite a bit more fight in fortress mode. I never play adventure so I don't know how hard they would be in there.
But they're still very beatable.

For something harder still...

If the problem you are having is with them all getting killed during worldgen, try giving them 5000 damblock and/or size then, after worldgen, making it normal again. This will make them as close to invulnerable as possible during worldgen, but then, because you change it back after, normal ingame.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:44:22 pm by Krelos »
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:58:57 am »

[NOPAIN] is most important for them to survive long enough to get some toughness (and CANLEARN if they don't already have it).  A dragon may be huge but skill wise it starts as a peasant.  Its not uncommon for someone to break its leg and then it passes out and is easily killed.  [NOSTUN] and [NOEXERT] is good also, these prevent it from being wrestled to death as easily.  Again, until it builds up some skills and stats a megabeast has a huge disadvantage. 

Also sooner or later it will take a critical hit from something and die or get permanently injured.  I removed lungs, heart, guts, the [NERVOUS] tags from everything and gave it [NOBREATHE] to prevent it from dropping dead.  Also, I gave its brain [SIGHT] so it couldn't be blinded but giving the dragon [EXTRAVISION] may be better.  Basically, all that stuff means that the megabeast wont be killed by a random critical hit from a bolt, or from being knocked out in its first fight, or from being wrestled to death by something with a few wrestling levels and some strength.  Plus a damblock or two helps absorb multiple weak attacks and more (smaller number) speed helps cancel out your champions' huge shield block rate.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:50:30 am »

You can also add CAN_LEARN to give them the benefit of their 200 years of experience.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01:00 pm »

This is my dragon:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However,
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:20:56 pm »

MY Dragon:

Needless to say, he's pretty tough. I haven't encountered on in fortress mode though, so I don't know how long he'll last against a bunch of champions.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 01:30:52 pm »

If you want to make them REALLY tough, remove their organs. For example, remove the brain saying the skull is too tough to pierce.

Guts & ORgans are fine, but take out spine & brain should help reduce the lucky hits that insta-disable.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »

I dislike removing parts that they would need to live in reality, but that's just a personal preference of mine.
I'm greatly looking forward to the new version, so I can give my dragons scales of steel or mithril and blood made of some 15k degree fluid or something insane like that.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.