Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: siege tag not dissapearing?  (Read 3245 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
siege tag not dissapearing?
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:53 am »

Just beat an orc seige, but the siege tag is still there. how can i get rid of it?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: siege tag not dissapearing?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:32:44 am »

There are still orcs who have not given up then.

Look through the unit list. Are there any invaders still on the map?

There is probably another group or two still on the map with some fight in them.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:15 am »

no, there's none left, thats the problem. Even magma-dumped a few Goblin prisoners just to be sure they were all gone.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:34 am »

I get this bug all the time. It is very time consuming to fix and requires use of the utility Dwarf Companion.

Either there's an orc that was knocked flying and never landed, or there's an orc that was supposed to come onto the map and didn't actually arrive. Either way, the game still considers that glitched orc part of the siege, so the siege won't end.

The only way to solve the problem is to use Dwarf Companion.

Open it up and make Dwarf Companion view all creatures on the map.

Depending on what is glitched, there are two different approaches as to what you should do.

First, in Dwarf Fortress, look around to see if an orc is stuck with a permanently blue background. If so, this is the bugged orc. Open its creature entry and uncheck the box there for flying. This will unbug the orc, allowing you then to kill it.

If there are no permanently flying creatures, then your task is a bit harder. Use Dwarf Companion to zoom to the sites where orcs died, started with the most recent ones. Eventually, zooming to an orc's death site will zoom you to a tile at the map edge, far from where fighting took place. This will be the bugged orc.

This is a bit hard to explain, because I don't work with the data myself, but you might notice that each dead creature has two check-boxes marked "deceased" checked. If the orc is bugged in this way, only one box will be checked. Position your military around the general area where the bugged orc is, and uncheck the "deceased" box. The bugged orc should reappear, allowing you to kill it.

I filed a bug report on this before. No one else really seemed to know what to do.

I hope something is done about this at some point. I have a theory that saving as units enter the map causes this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:42:35 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:20:43 pm »

I wonder if it is related to the stuck immigrant fighter bug? I hear that can be caused by pausing or somesuch.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:34:39 pm »

I wonder if it is related to the stuck immigrant fighter bug? I hear that can be caused by pausing or somesuch.

I find you can solve that bug by putting them under command  of someone already at the fort, then having that person put on duty.

oh, and DC found a dead orc with no wounds. rezzed him, re killed him, and the seige tag went away

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:18 pm »

Whenever I've had this problem I was able to solve it by simply saving and reloading the fort.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.