Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeasts... lots of megabeasts  (Read 1638 times)

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
Megabeasts... lots of megabeasts
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:06:31 pm »

Basically I genned a 2 year world, I thought I'd have some fun...
`Figured I'd be better to start this Adventurer with some Shield skill so the little creatures wouldn't cause a bunch of minor injuries preventing her from fighting titans at full strength. But she didn't get injured, ever.

Giant after giant...

After a while I happened upon a Mountainhome and its' King, `decided to start taking quests from him instead of from The useless Guild Rep. He gave me a couple awesome targets including a dragon.

Next Beast is a Hydra.

Soon shall she be a Legendary Shield User...

Just for the sake of clarification she's a human, and much of the Black Space in the first screenshot is offscreen(origionally 2560px × 1184px).

Now what

Apologies to Andrew.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:56:59 pm by Leotto »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts... lots of megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:31:54 pm »

Yeah, lots of people get like that after finding out that this versions megabeasts are total pushovers.

Its why I modded my megebeasts, semi-megabeasts and some other supposed-to-be-vicious creatures up quite a bit (increased speed, size, damblock, attack strength, added some attacks and some tags like nopain). They now do a pretty decent job at mauling my adventurers and dwarves.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
The Kings Daughter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:57:41 am »

More recently on a new character, I found The Daughter of The King of his native nation in the wilderness…

Quite promptly I decided the best course of action would be to cut her into pieces, drop his entire inventory, wear her clothing, and equip her right hand and head as weapons.

Now I am going to go punish the King for having such terrible parenting skills.

Edit: Was ambushed by harpies and killed on the way to The Mountainhomes.
imgwtf

Honestly though I found the idea of a full grown male Axedwarf wearing the clothes of his Kings Daughters', running through the hills laughing maniacally quite and very amusing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:14:16 am by Leotto »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: The Kings Daughter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:45:01 am »

More recently on a new character, I found The Daughter of The King of his native nation in the wilderness…

Quite promptly I decided the best course of action would be to cut her into pieces, drop his entire inventory, wear her clothing, and equip her right hand and head as weapons.

Now I am going to go punish the King for having such terrible parenting skills.

Edit: Was ambushed by harpies and killed on the way to The Mountainhomes.
Honestly though I found the idea of a full grown male Axedwarf wearing the clothes of his Kings Daughters', running through the hills laughing maniacally quite and very amusing.
dang you should have just work your way into kingqueen by asking her to join reaching lovers where her father is get hitch then off her fathermother. which will take hours if not years of effort but it's will be satisfying to sit in the throne as kingqueen!
fixed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:51:31 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:45:58 am »

grats on the kills!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
Re: The Kings Daughter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:12 am »

dang you should have just work your way into kingqueen by asking her to join reaching lovers where her father is get hitch then off her fathermother. which will take hours if not years of effort but it's will be satisfying to sit in the throne as kingqueen!
fixed.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I find your vexation/Ambiguity over the Kings' gender hilarious for whatever reason.

Sorry about being so cryptic when it comes to identifying the characters involved in these situations, but I presume my syntax has been adequately accurate enough that the details could be fished out on the second or third pass.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:21:57 pm »

after reading it again I notice I was mostly wrong and right, your recent character is a queen after all just not a royal one.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:39 pm »

What, only one shield?  I'm wearing, like...

*checks*

...seven.  They're all iron, of varying quality.  And I've got a couple more in my pack waiting for attachment proceedings.  I've never seen a skill train so quickly before.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 04:02:01 pm »

Is there an advantage to holding so many shields?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 04:38:48 pm »

I've never seen a skill train so quickly before.

I think the advantage was made clear already.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 04:52:57 pm »

Yeah, shield-stacking is an old trick.  If you place multiple shields in your shield-hand (requires some doing, and the process can get confused occasionally, but it's not that difficult), two things will happen when someone attacks you.

First, it checks against the shield rating and the shield user rating to see if the attack is blocked.  For each shield.

Second, it provides shield user skill when an attack is successfully blocked.  For each shield.

This is, of course, an absolutely insane defense against just about everything (except fireballs).  There are a couple problems with it though...   You'll need a high degree of strength to not get severely encumbered by so many shields, and you'll need a high toughness stat to deal with all the blocking you're doing. 

Also, regardless of how many shields you have or how good you are at using them, they won't help you if you get knocked out.  Getting swarmed by peasants is a fairly good way of getting yourself killed.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 05:52:49 pm »

Oowah… That was epic

Note: [Deep] tag was removed from Adamantine at some point, I'll put it back later.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:18:58 pm by Leotto »