Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KITTY GIVE ME DA ANVIL!  (Read 952 times)

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
KITTY GIVE ME DA ANVIL!
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:16:40 pm »

-Not sure if this is the right place to post but i hope you can help.
--Just skip to the end if you want 2 answer my question.

Hey i'm new to dwarf fortress and i was lost at first but my friend helped me thought the early stages. I recently had my armor smith go into a flay mood and he hasn't done anything since. I guess i need an anvil to make a forge for him. BUT O NOS :o! I don't have an anvil and the last caravan was useless.

So i went to the wiki page and look at were else i could get one. I found that i could get my cat to drop it if i edited the file and then killed it.

--->My first question is what do i need 2 insert to make my cat drop it.

--->My second question is how do i kill it? I know that u can drop if off a cliff or down a hole but i am such a noob that i have no idea how.

Please help quickly!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: KITTY GIVE ME DA ANVIL!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:21:33 pm »

v and y on the cat to kill it if you got a butcher shop.

and you need an item corpse tag the wiki talks more about it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:33:04 pm »

adding an ITEM_CORPSE tag wouldn't really help in this case though, because I'm pretty sure it requires a world regen. I could be wrong.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:02 pm »

Yes I did look at the wiki tag but i'm not sure if it is right

I added this at the bottom

[ITEMCORPSE:Anvil]

is this right?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:37:39 pm »

If you add [ITEMCORPSE:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON] to a creature's entry, it will become an iron anvil when it dies. For cats, the entry is in creature_domestic. However, note that butchering an animal at a butcher's workshop bypasses its ITEMCORPSE, meaning that you have to find some other clever way of killing the cat. The easiest way will probably be to dig a several-level-deep pit, make a pit zone over the top of it, and pit the cat into it, causing it to fall to its death. Usually, 5+ z-levels is enough to cause a critter to break its legs and several other bones, which then leaves it to bleed to death. 10+ z-levels is almost always enough to simply kill it instantly, while 15+ will cause it to burst into ludicrous gibs.

Adding a tag to a creature like this won't require a regen. You need the specific syntax that I gave for it to work, including the specific punctuation and capitalization, though you could use other values for the last 2 values if you wanted the anvil to be other than iron.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:41:52 pm »

but what would be the easiest way to make a 10+ pit?

and how do I tell my dwarf to drop it down? ???
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:47:01 pm by tailpipe7 »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:45:29 pm »

Dig a downward staircase someplace, and designate one of the tile next to it for channeling. On the next several levels, designate an up/down staircase directly beneath the downward staircase, and directly beneath the channeling designation make more channeling designations. At the bottom, designate an upward staircase directly beneath the up/down staircases (no channel here). That simple.

Once that's done, you use the i (zones) cursor, scroll over the top of the pit, and designate a zone there. Then, activate it as a (p)it/pond, go into its (P)it/pond information, select one of your cats, and wait for it to get tossed into the abyss.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 06:59:33 pm »

Thanks so much!  :D

umm yeeeeh i don't know how to select it to be thrown in the pit. >_<
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:07:21 pm by tailpipe7 »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:21:08 pm »

First, you've got to designate the pit zone. To do this, hit i from the main screen. Then, scroll to the hole you've dug, just like you were going to designate a dig or something on it. Hit enter twice, again just like you were going to designate a dig on it. Then, hit p, then P (shift-p, in other words). Use + or - until you find the cat you want to pit, then hit enter. Then, hit space until the game unpauses.

Do note that you can't pit creatures that are already pets, which can make cats a bad choice for this sort of thing due to their annoying tendency to force your dwarves to adopt them. Still, since any one of your cats and kittens is a valid choice, it should be easier than it might be.