Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has anyone tried DF on a Solid State Drive?  (Read 4328 times)

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried DF on a Solid State Drive?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »

VPN you say...
OpenVPN (or Hamachi) and you can map drives from anywhere so long as you have a semi-reliable internet connection. Just turn off saving every season, and your game never even knows it is running over the internet.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »

I played DF on a SDD lappy for years. No noticable difference. It's all about the CPU. The only times it was faster was saving/loading games, but that's hardly the bottleneck of DF.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »

I have literally gone through about 6 or 7 USB drives, I have never owned one for more than two weeks... I usually either leave them in PCs, wash them in my jeans or lose them...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »

It shouldn't matter what drive you have. It only ever accesses the drive when you first start the game and when you save or load a fortress. Most of the game time is spent with no drive access at all.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 02:09:15 pm »

I have literally gone through about 6 or 7 USB drives, I have never owned one for more than two weeks... I usually either leave them in PCs, wash them in my jeans or lose them...

You should get a keychain flash drive. I have a really nice high end one (32gb) that's only 1 inch long and uniformly as think as the USB slot, so it's less bulky than my housekey.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 02:14:38 pm »

You should get a keychain flash drive. I have a really nice high end one (32gb) that's only 1 inch long and uniformly as think as the USB slot, so it's less bulky than my housekey.

Tried that, when I left it in the PC I also lost my keys :(
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:03 pm »

I was promised quantum computing by 2010! Science has lied to us!
How long ago were you promised this? http://xkcd.com/678/
Pages: 1 [2]