Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Playing as Goblins?  (Read 1975 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as Goblins?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »

Okay, thank you. Sunshaker. I was already starting to compare the Dwarven Entity data to that of the Goblins, but you really just sped things up.

Any changes to the entity files will require another regen. Changes to the creature raws will not, but they may require the deletion of the ...\data\objects files (not the ...\raws\objects files).

If I delete the Data/Object files, will they replace themselves with the updated Raws when I load up the game up? Or, how does that work?

Edit: Well, I edited the raws n stuff successfully. But I can't embark with Beakdogs. At least I have other animals available now though. So, I'm just gonna play for a bit and see how things work.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:10:28 pm by Kamudo »
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:07 pm »

Ok I'm going to wander off topic here for a minute.

Would [PET_EXOTIC] work as well as [PET] for allowing Goblins to bring Beak Dogs when on the attack? Would this also be why they don't bring trolls?
Well, the answer to the question Kamudo was asking was different from the reason why goblins don't ride Beak Dogs. Goblins don't have the [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT] token, so they don't use mounts at all. I'm about 60% certain that Beak Dogs would need [PET], too, or [PET_EXOTIC] if goblins had [USE_ANY_PET_RACE].

The problem is that I don't think that you can limit them from coming mounted on horses, too, without shenanigans involving the [GOOD] token and adding [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] to anyone you want to use horses.

As to why they don't bring trolls, I have no idea. My idea as to why they don't ride beak dogs is, as mentioned, the fact that they ride nothing due to lacking [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT], but I don't know of any tag that would make a civ bring another non-mount race, so that doesn't explain the lack of trolls.

If I delete the Data/Object files, will they replace themselves with the updated Raws when I load up the game up? Or, how does that work?
Yeah, every file in the data/objects file is game-usable versions of the raw/objects folder. Clearing it when you mod prevents duplicate entries and some other things, which can cause Bad Stuff to happen, but is totally painless.

Edit: Well, I edited the raws n stuff successfully. But I can't embark with Beakdogs. At least I have other animals available now though. So, I'm just gonna play for a bit and see how things work.
It's possible that your civ simply isn't in a location where it has access to beak dogs. They spawn only in marshes, and goblins normally spawn only in mountains, so you're actually fairly unlikely to see them without changing their biome tokens.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »

When you run the game it will always check to see if there are files in the ...data\objects folder, if there are no files there it will recompile them from the ...\raw\objects files. If you do a mod and it doesn't work this is the first thing you should try. [Edit: beaten to the punch on this one.]

Let us know how your goblin fort goes, it certainly sounds more interesting than my Elf Forest (soooooo boring).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:20:20 pm by sunshaker »

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »

NecroRebel: Okay. Thanks for your help. ^-^  I might try editing the Biome token later on, but for now, it's alright.

Sunshaker: Thank you for everything as well.

And yeah, I'll post either here, or in General Discussion, to talk about my Goblin fort.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:27:33 pm »

Well, the answer to the question Kamudo was asking was different from the reason why goblins don't ride Beak Dogs. Goblins don't have the [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT] token, so they don't use mounts at all. I'm about 60% certain that Beak Dogs would need [PET], too, or [PET_EXOTIC] if goblins had [USE_ANY_PET_RACE].

The problem is that I don't think that you can limit them from coming mounted on horses, too, without shenanigans involving the [GOOD] token and adding [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] to anyone you want to use horses.

As to why they don't bring trolls, I have no idea. My idea as to why they don't ride beak dogs is, as mentioned, the fact that they ride nothing due to lacking [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT], but I don't know of any tag that would make a civ bring another non-mount race, so that doesn't explain the lack of trolls.

Duh looking right at the entity listing and I missed that. This needs testing, its own thread and maybe depending on results a bug report.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:33 pm »

Oh, I actually made a Goblin fortress mod designed to fulfill this very goal. If anyone else isn't up to the modding, feel free to try out this mod:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47561.0
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 03:12:42 am »

Thanks, Dark Flagrance.

Can someone help me out in making Goblins playable in Adventure mode as well? I wanna set out about creating one of the most epic Goblin Warriors. >.>

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 03:17:37 am »

Well, would adding [ADVENTURE_TIER:4] under Goblins make them Adventurable?

EDIT: Yeah, that did it. >.>

I answered my own question. Wow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:21:59 am by Kamudo »

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 03:26:48 am »

Though, I'm curious as to why the Class Knifeuser has no weapons.

Goblins do have daggers as weapons... So.. I don't get it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 04:25:39 am »

If you're unable to make wooden things, you would be unable to make beds. That would be a semi-important game change.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:48 am »

You could alter the raws for beds to allow stone beds?

Anyway, some of this might be moot with the upcoming release. I thought I saw in the dev logs fixing the mount issues...
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach
Pages: 1 [2]