Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scrap wooden blocks  (Read 1382 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scrap wooden blocks
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

I think wooden blocks are a good stand-in for all the various ways wood can be 'finished'.  Having all of them available would overwhelm the menus, so we just have a generic 'blocks' item instead.  This way, you have the option between using rough logs for quick-and-dirty low quality stuff, and spending time to produce processed wood for high quality things--that's a good thing, especially for people who want to rely heavily on wood.

But...  why not just change the default hotkeys?  That seems simple enough.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 10:23:00 pm »

Well, stone boulders and stone blocks, when made into a wall, all make the same thing: A stone block wall.  Until there's a difference, it really won't matter.  All structures, when constructed, whether by raw materials or blocks, comes out 'smooth'.

In any case, it's perfectly possible to make a nice, tight structure with just some stone and mortar.  More difficult and it would require some l33t jigsaw skills, but I rather like the (Real life) look of natural rocks being used in a structure.  I hardly think it matters, though - I like the idea of keeping it simple and just walking with what we have.  It works just fine, so I think Toady could focus on something more important, for the moment.

But that's just me.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 04:11:00 am »

IIRC, raw materials make rough walls and blocks make smooth walls. I know that because there's no way to make blocks of ice so you are stuck using low quality/impossible to engrave rough walls in glacier maps. Too bad, I wanted my dwarves to have happy thoughs in their neat ice fortress  :p

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

Could walls made from blocks be harder for invaders to break?
wood<wood block<stone<stone block<metal<metal block?
Eh?
Eh!

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stof:
<STRONG>IIRC, raw materials make rough walls and blocks make smooth walls. I know that because there's no way to make blocks of ice so you are stuck using low quality/impossible to engrave rough walls in glacier maps. Too bad, I wanted my dwarves to have happy thoughs in their neat ice fortress   :o

Time for some reconstruction...

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

You can't engrave any built walls(or floors).
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

Ah - I thought he was saying you couldn't engrave rough constructed walls.  I suppose if I had actually read the post, I would've seen he was talking about glacier ice...

It would be nice if we could engrave them, though.

I'll just shush, now.   :)

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

Ah yeah right. You cannot engrave any kind of constructed wall. It wasn't what I wanted to say but it could have been easily interpreted like that. What I wanted to say was that ice walls already have a low enouth value and since you cannot neither smooth them or engrave them, it's a shame that we are stuck with rough walls and floors because you cannot make blocks out of the stuff  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]