Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Use Character and Tileset with Civilization Forge?  (Read 2437 times)

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
Use Character and Tileset with Civilization Forge?
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »

Hello, I recently made a clean install of dwarf fortress and moved the Civilization Forge mod files into the proper folders. However, for the life of me, I can't seem to get any graphics to work. I've tried following the instructions on the wiki, but to no avail. Can anyone give me:
A: A download link to a mayday tileset that isn't packaged with Dwarf Fortress OR a good combined graphics set I can install
B: Step by Step instructions on how to install it.

Thanks in advance
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Use Character and Tileset with Civilization Forge?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:19 pm »

I haven't tested it, but here is a pre-packaged version of DF 40.17 with Civilization Forge & UndeadStag's graphics for it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:12 pm »

I haven't tested it, but here is a pre-packaged version of DF 40.17 with Civilization Forge & UndeadStag's graphics for it.

You win the super-prize. I don't know what it is, but you win it.

EDIT: The only question I have is: How do I use this with a character set as well, for things like terrain and items?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:36:53 pm by Tazgrent »
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:42:17 am »

Not sure, I don't use graphics myself. But I'll see if someone can help you.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:18:41 am »

Here's what I did: I got Mike Maydays' prepackaged Dwarf Fortress, then I installed Civ Forge over the top. It worked in an older sub-version of the current DF, with only a few drawbacks, mainly it messed with accented characters or something, so berries all turned into levers and names of forts are infested with vermin. The additional Civ Forge characters (sand raiders, jawas etc) all displayed correctly when installed as directed.

I've tried Mayday and Ranting Rodent so far, and Mayday is much cleaner, uncluttered, and easier to read in-game.

Next up I try the same with the most recent Mayday, and Civ Forge Unleashed. However I'm editing out Trap-avoid, since traps are fun and besides, a lever hooked up to a bridge and set to Pull Repeat is every bit as undefeatable as a well-laid trap field, but without the dismemberment.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:52:21 am »

I'm at work now, so I can't send/upload anything but...

I found the prepackaged graphics for Civ Forge that's attached to the main CF thread were a little buggy - the sizes of some of the .bmp files were either borked in terms of the grid size, or the grid size referenced in the raw files for the graphics were borked (some of the xelics showed as random graphical gibberish, obsidian guardians were half-guradian half-somethingelse, bugbears weren't showing properly etc).

I cleaned them up and never got round to posting them. I'll try to do so when I get home tonight.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:16:19 pm »

Ok, here we go...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1926

There's some info on what to do in the description, hope it works ok!

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:46:55 pm »

Thanks SquidgyB! I'll test this tonight.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:22:07 am »

Worldgen and embark successful! I'll see if there are any glitches as I go.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:15:53 am »

SquidgyB: Uh... Um, should those be .bmps or .pngs? I am very confused now.

Here's my process: download and install the latest Mayday prepackaged. Works! Drop the ordinary Civ Forge mod files on top. Works! Extract your package, notice it's all .BMP, change to .PNG, add to DF manually. Doesn't work!

What should I have done?

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 07:58:56 am »

Oop, they may well need to be .png's, though it worked for me as is - I just copied/rar'd the files from one of the many working DF folders strewn about on my desktop :D

e: I can't remember if some of the fixes I did involved changing the filetype to/from png/bmp, all I know is that those files in the rar worked for me in 40d... I'm not sure if copying the graphics into DF should be done last, though it shouldn't matter if you've deleted raw/graphics and the other directory (data/art?).

As I remember, all the references I fixed for the graphics packs were in the text files in the graphics folder. The only other changes I made were in the init.txt files, to get the mayday tileset working and size the window/grid to my liking. As I mentioned in the dffd description, there might be other changes in the init file to look out for as well, I know for a fact that the economy is switched off as well as features showing in the map screen, I don't think I made any other changes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:05:05 am by SquidgyB »