Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism  (Read 10065 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2010, 07:07:42 am »

Lever pulling contests are fun for the whole family.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2010, 10:36:50 am »

I don't think I've ever had an amputee survive, so I have to ask this: what's the job status of a permanently bedridden dwarf? Is it the same as a recovering one's status, namely resting? If that's the case, it would make holding meetings, or doing any other work for that matter (and let's not forget that even partying is a job in dwarven terms), problematic.
I have had permanently bedridden mayors.  They are incapable of holding meetings as their job status is stuck to 'rest' permanently.  What makes it worse is that the diplomat or liason or whoever trying to meet with the mayor won't realize this and will wait patiently by the mayor's bed forever waiting for them to recover.  I suppose the trick of deconstructing every bed in the fortress would get them out of resting state if required.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:12 am »

I have had permanently bedridden mayors.  They are incapable of holding meetings as their job status is stuck to 'rest' permanently.

That's what I thought. And it actually makes a bedridden mayor utterly useless, even though common logic would suggest otherwise.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:19 am »

I'd be surprised if they don't make mandates while unconscious, too.

"Zzzz... crystal glass... mugs... crystal glass mugs... chasing me..."

If only mandate-making was an actual task, which had to be performed at an office, these bedridden mayors would have an ever-so-slight upside.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:28 am »

We should be glad that Nobles don't enter strange moods and demand artifacts.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:56 am »

From what I've read they positively do, and "Zzzz... crystal glass... mugs... crystal glass mugs... chasing me..." seems like a very apt description of how that might go down.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2010, 02:15:53 pm »

From what I've read they positively do, and "Zzzz... crystal glass... mugs... crystal glass mugs... chasing me..." seems like a very apt description of how that might go down.

This is why noble bedrooms should always be situated close to the river or magma pipe.  When you need to cancel a mandate or export ban quickly, there's no better way than a noble bath in 7/7 liquid.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41:46 pm »

The best way Toady could troll DF's fanbase is by making nobles mandate the production of goods that don't exist in the game.

Noble: I DEMAND 3 GOLDEN MUSKETS!
Urist McPoorsap: But we don't have gold! Or muskets!
Noble: I DON'T CARE! HAMMERER! HAMMER THIS TWIT!
*splat*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

Heh.  Imagining Toady trolling us.
1) The economy wouldn't be toggalable, and dwarves would starve if they didn't have actual coins to buy food with.
2) Strange moods would actually seek out materials we don't have, instead of just seeming to.
3) Instead of nobles getting mildly annoyed at missed mandates, they would receive more and more unhappiness until the mandate is met.  This might be partially true already, but stops and disappears at a low level.
4) Carp would routinely kill dwarves (hmmm)
5) Trading and meeting with liasons would be a very low-priority task (wait a second)
6) We'd have to setup constructions in at most 10X10 blocks, and one z-level at a time
7) Fire.  Burning dwarves chatting in the dining hall.  Doooom.

Ok, that got away from me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]