Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: global flood!  (Read 1114 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
global flood!
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:43:57 am »

so I was starting world gen and something happens in the back round that caused things to go slowly,  despite that I decided to just watch things happen out of curiosity.   Suddenly to my shock within the first year there was a global flood!!!   I was shocked I only saw 3 or so squares (maybe less) of land available everything else was covered in water!!! at first I thought I would regen or the world gen would fail, but it started ticking away, I thought I would play the map and have a very, very interesting fortress.   Suddenly the water receded and the map was normal, I attempted a screen shot but you can not screen shot in full screen mode apparently.  I have not seen this behavior since.  has any one seen this in any of there games?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
Re: global flood!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:07 am »

Sounds awesome. Could make an amazingly huge underwater fortress playing in an area of nothing but water. Also sounds like neverending 10 fps. I wish that would have happened to me at some point just so I could attempt to survive on a map like that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:09:24 am by Set_Beadra »
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:56 am »

so I was starting world gen and something happens in the back round that caused things to go slowly,  despite that I decided to just watch things happen out of curiosity.   Suddenly to my shock within the first year there was a global flood!!!   I was shocked I only saw 3 or so squares (maybe less) of land available everything else was covered in water!!! at first I thought I would regen or the world gen would fail, but it started ticking away, I thought I would play the map and have a very, very interesting fortress.   Suddenly the water receded and the map was normal, I attempted a screen shot but you can not screen shot in full screen mode apparently.  I have not seen this behavior since.  has any one seen this in any of there games?

I believe that is a normal part of worldgen, you can see this if you press space or enter really quickly. You don't usually see this as it dissapears really fast.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:13 am »

This is normal process of generation, 3d fractal generates, fills with water at zero coordinates, then DF checks the water level according to world parameters and shifts the whole world up or down.
Finis sanctificat media.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:18:31 pm »

yeah but the water didn't recceed until a few min into the worldgen  *in other words the year counter started ticking*
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »

yeah but the water didn't recceed until a few min into the worldgen  *in other words the year counter started ticking*
Screen output bug, nothing to worry about.
Finis sanctificat media.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:29 pm »

I am not worreid about it, I am more disopointed that it did not actully happen, world disasters should be part of world gen

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:58:46 pm »

I am not worreid about it, I am more disopointed that it did not actully happen, world disasters should be part of world gen
There can't be global warming in a thousand year to flood the whole world.
Finis sanctificat media.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »

world disasters should be part of world gen
It's a mermaid's dream come true. No longer would they be farmed for their bones.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:25:39 am »

world disasters should be part of world gen
It's a mermaid's dream come true. No longer would they be farmed for their bones.
I dunno, Dwarves are crafty little buggers.